Episode 13- Barrister Neil McGregor on Generating Happiness with Calmness and Kindness
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
I’m so excited to introduce this week’s guest of The Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast. His name is Neil McGregor and he’s someone who I’ve been keen to have on the show for a while now. Having worked in the legal industry for 43 years, Neil has a wealth of experience, not just of the finer details of law but also on how to maintain a happy relationship with your working life.
A barrister based right here in Brisbane, Neil has some really interesting beliefs and philosophies, particularly around Buddhism. This journey has been a big part of his happiness and we get really into that in this episode.
There’s a wisdom and calmness about Neil that’s really beautiful to be around. I got a lot out of this conversation and I’m sure that you will too. Enjoy!
Here are a few things that Neil and I get into in this episode:
- What Neil would have done if he never became a lawyer
- The aspects of law that Neil loves and hates – mental challenges and the aggressive nature of the industry
- The difficulties and complexities of family law, and why it’s often unappreciated
- The problems of partnership and why Neil prefers to work alone
- Why learning from your mistakes will make you a better person and a better lawyer – no experience is wasted, whether it’s good or bad
- The transitions in law that Neil has seen throughout his career
- The need to shift away from fixed views as a result of the changing landscape in the legal industry
- Neil’s unique capacity to be calm with himself and clients, and the benefits that has in the courtroom
- The mentality and mindfulness that lawyers can learn from doctors
- How Neil has stayed happy in his 43-year long career
- Neil working through Compassion Fatigue and the dangers that lawyers face from being exposed to traumatic situations
- Neil’s technique on dealing with the stresses of legal life
- Becoming a Buddhist and how that has changed his perspective on life
- How Buddhist philosophies help Neil in Court and his profession generally
- Neil’s advice to those just starting out in the legal profession
- Neil’s Happiness Challenge!
HAPPY LAWYER HAPPY LIFE