Episode 74 – Working hard and keeping calm with Barrister (& part time sports trivia expert) Tedd Jordan
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
My guest in this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast is Barrister Tedd Jordan- family law expert, husband, father and, as I learned in this interview, sports trivia king of Australia! You might remember I interviewed Tedd’s brother, Brian way back in episode 11 of the show. It has taken me a little while to persuade Tedd to join my show but I am so glad he agreed in the end!
I have for many years learned from Tedd’s calm and considered manner in the way he conducts his practice. He is an exceptional advocate but it has been his willingness to mentor, support and share his knowledge with those of us around him that I will always be grateful for.
Tedd has had a life long passion for sport, all sport, and believes that relaxing and spending time with family is never lost time. Tedd is a true believer in hard work, in ensuring you are always taking the time to do your best. I appreciated Tedd’s frankness when sharing the effort and hours that it has taken for him to build his practice and his reflection that at times this has affected his capacity to enjoy the many other aspects of his life but he also shared many great insights for anyone considering a life at the Bar and raising a family (while pursuing sports trivia in your free time!)
In recent years Tedd has explored mindfulness and meditation- initially this was to better manage the stress and challenges of life in the law but Tedd has come to find that these skills have enabled him to further hone his professional skills as a mediator and advocate.
Tedd and I also spoke about:
- Why Tedd wanted to be a lawyer from the age of 7- following in his big brother’s footsteps
- Growing up with much older siblings and how this influenced the beginning of Tedd’s career
- Tedd’s early life in Tasmania and his move to Brisbane as a teenager
- His life at university before moving into law through the Barristers Board
- Tedd’s early years in the law and how he found himself working in Family Law
- How and why Tedd moved to the Bar and why he has never looked back
- Tedd’s experience of ‘work life balance’ as a parent and husband and some of his learnings now looking back
- How sport, fitness and health have enabled Tedd to build a healthy lifestyle in and out of the law
- The importance of working hard, but not at others expense
- Tedd’s happiness tips for the week ahead
We can all learn from Tedd’s mindful, calm approach to law so plug in those headphones and perhaps throw a football around the backyard in celebration of the many sport references in this episode while you listen away!
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last weeks episode here