Episode 80 – Barrister Caite Brewer on the importance of health, kindness and choosing the right path in the law
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I was joined by another wonderful woman lawyer in Barrister Caite Brewer. Caite was an absolute delight to interview on my show. She has such a passion for the law and helping those around her. She has perhaps had a traditional pathway to her role as Counsel but it is her outlook on health, wellness, kindness and happiness that had me smiling as we chatted.
Caite operates a specialist practice in Estate litigation here in Brisbane. She is well known for her intellect and talent at the Bar but in this conversation I learned so much more about the woman behind the Barrister’s gown.
Caite is also a big advocate for the importance of looking after yourself, particulary when it comes to our health. It wasn’t always this way for Caite but she shared with me she changed her perspective a few years ago now and how and why her health is now central to her happiness.
As you all know I am a huge advocate for health and wellness and Caite proves that with some dedication and the right resources you are able to live a healthy happy life in and outside of the law.
Caite and I also spoke about-
- How she would be a bank teller if she was not a lawyer!
- Her early life in NSW before moving to Maryborough in regional Queensland where her father owned a butcher shop and her mother owned a fabric store.
- Caite knew from a young age she wanted to be a Barrister (all thanks to a few 1980’s TV shows!)
- The day after Caite finished high school she moved to Brisbane to for University.
- Like many of us, Caite at times struggled with the study of law but has since found her passion in the practice of her profession.
- Caite’s decision to go straight to the Bar and become a Barrister early in her career- she had always wanted to be a Barrister and so she was at 21!
- Caite’s experience at the Bar early in her career.
- The decision to become a solicitor 7 years into her career to balance her career and her family, and her subsequent return to life at the Bar 11 years later!
- Caite’s tips for anyone looking to become a Barrister.
- Caite’s career ethos- treating colleagues well and being kind to all, from the start of your career, will always benefit you.
- Caite’s love of sport (all sports!)
- Caite’s Happiness Tip
Sit back and relax and enjoy this podcast with Barrister Caite Brewer.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last weeks episode here