Episode 70 – Chance and hard work creating happiness in the law with Cate Heyworth-Smith QC
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I was joined by Cate Heyworth-Smith QC. Cate is a Barrister here in Brisbane and aside from being a seriously talented member of the legal profession, she is also very, very funny! I met Cate at an event here in Brisbane where she took on the often challenging role of MC- she had the audience in stitches throughout the night and it was her ability to entertain and persuade that meant I had to get her on the show!
Following her father’s footsteps to the Bar after only a few years as a Judges Associate, Cate has worked hard to carve a successful practice as a civil and commercial advocate. Her appointment as a QC at what was still a relatively early stage of her career says so much about her talent as an advocate.
But Cate describes that while so much of her career has been thanks to chance, it has been her passion for the law that ensures she still finds joy in her career each day. Cate and I also talked a lot about life at the Bar as a parent- that infamous ‘juggle’ and her tips on what has worked (and perhaps hasn’t worked!) for her.
Cate has a wonderful outlook on life. She does not take herself too seriously and I sense that this attitude is one of the secrets to her success. She is giving back to her community and is passionate about keeping good professional relationships in the industry.
Cate and I also spoke about:
- Her decision to pursue law and life in Brisbane with her family
- Growing up with a father who loved his life as a Barrister and the impact this had on Cate’s decision to pursue law
- Her experience of life at the Bar- the pros and cons and her advice to anyone considering that path
- Taking Silk in Brisbane on a stormy night
- Her experience in combining family with life as a barrister having become a mum 4 years ago
- The advantages of reflection in your daily routine
- Her tips on managing the challenges of our profession- loss, conflict and stress
- Being healthy and finding your fit in your career
- The importance of falling in love
- Life is so much more than just work and Cate tells how she manages this in her life
- Her philosophy of not taking yourself too seriously
- Her future predictions for the Bar
- Cate’s do’s and don’ts for young barristers
- Highlights of her career and life
- The mentors in Cate’s career
- Cate’s happiness tip
Sit back and enjoy Cate Heyworth-Smith QC as she reflects on her marvelous career in the law.