Episode 71 – Giving back to the community and going with the flow with Catherine Cheek
In this week’s episode of the Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast I was joined by solicitor Catherine Cheek. Catherine works primarily in litigation and personal injury law in beautiful Toowoomba here in Queensland where she is a Special Counsel at Clewett Lawyers. Catherine has had an extensive and successful career in the law but it is her purposeful choice to craft a career that works for her and her family that had me wanting her on my show.
Catherine volunteers heavily in her community- both in legal and non-legal roles. She shares the importance of accepting that you cannot control everything in life and rising above difficulties in your career and personal life. All of her hard work was recognised last year when Catherine was awarded the Qld Woman Lawyers, Regional Woman Lawyer of the Year Award for 2017.
Catherine’s outlook on life both in and out of the law is powerful and it hasn’t always been ‘easy’ for her. Catherine spoke of the moments in her life where a positive statement from a mentor or colleague has really helped her push through. There is a lot to be said for bringing yourself, as a human being, to your work in the law. Even in the lowest points of your career, you still have so much value in which you can bring to the community, your clients and family. Catherine encourages us all to be the best lawyer, friend, colleague and community member that we can be.
Catherine and I also spoke about:
- Catherine starting out in the drama and arts space.
- Being a mother of 2 almost adult children, and how she has managed the infamous ‘juggle’
- Growing up in Ipswich with her family
- Her early interest in journalism and why she shifted to law
- Her early experience in law before settling on becoming a litigation and personal injuries lawyer
- Catherine’s career as a lawyer in Toowoomba over the last 20 years
- Her experience in becoming a partner in a firm and why she chose some years later to leave that role
- The value and experiences she has gained through her various volunteer roles
- Catherine’s tips for managing work and family
- The importance of goals and daily planning
- Her plan to run the Gold Coast half marathon in the middle of the year
- Her perspective on making peace with the world – It will be what it will be
- The future for Catherine Cheek in law and in life
- Her advice for new lawyers
- Catherine’s Happiness Tip for the week ahead
Sit back and enjoy this episode with Catherine as she motivates us all to be generous with our time in and out of the law.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last weeks episode here