Episode 82 – Innovation, creativity, technology and happiness with Dugald Hamilton
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast I was joined by Insolvency Lawyer, Dugald Hamilton. Dugald is a solo practitioner working out of Brisbane but I think we can safely say he is the perfect example of a ‘new law’ lean practice. Dugald also happens to be a tech wiz (some might say a wonderful tech nerd!) an entrepreneur and innovator. He has a deep passion for people, technology, tea and woodworking!
7 years into a successful career, Dugald found himself questioning his role in the law and what he should be doing. He described to me that he had taken his eyes off his goals and inturn had become quite unhappy. Following this fork in the road, Dugald decided to start his own legal firm, 23Legal- a virtual legal practice focusing on commercial and insolvency solutions.
As you listen to Dugald you can hear his passion for technology and people. He has a deep knowledge of technology, innovation and AI and is using his firm as a platform to test technology strategies in the legal industry. I came away from this interview with Dugald wanting to know more and apply more technology in my own firm. He has some great advice those who are looking to open their own virtual online firm.
Dugald and I also spoke about:
- If Dugald was not a lawyer he would not be anything else. He is very happy and content in his career!
- Born in Roma Queensland and after 4 years he and his family moved to Holland where he became fluent in Dutch
- Dugald grew up with two younger bothers – neither who went into law.
- To become a lawyer was an early dream for Dugald and he started study at QUT
- Dugald began his journey in law land with a trainee-ship in articles in a small ‘does it all’ firm
- He found his interest in commercial litigation and insolvency and followed this path
- Life as an insolvency lawyer, running a practice and fitting life in somewhere in between
- Dugald’s role hosting the ‘Global Legal Hackathon’ in Sydney in 2018 where products are created and launched in only one weekend
- The relationship between technology and law- Dugald says technology is to be used as a tool and is not the answer to everything
- Dugald’s advice for anyone looking to step out on their own and start a virtual business
- Separating what the profession says you should be to who you are- this is essential for happiness
- Making time for passions- For Dugald this includes woodworking!
- We talked about tea, Dugald loves tea!
- The future for Dugald and his firm
- Password Managers, firmware and protecting yourself on the internet
- Google and innovation in business
- Dugald’s Happiness Tip
A big thanks to Dugald for another fun (and educational!) interview!
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last weeks episode here