Episode 100 – My learnings thanks to 99 interviews, thousands of downloads and many happy lawyers later with Clarissa Rayward
This week is a special one for me as we hit the magic episode 100! And so, I couldn’t let this week go without pausing and reflecting on the 99 episodes that have gone before! When I decided to create the Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast I was 3/4 of the way through writing my book by the same name. I thought at the time that the show would be a helpful tool for me to explore some of the research and ideas I had been writing about and that a few people might tune in. Well fast forward 100 episodes and I could write a list as long as both of my arms of the many opportunities that have come from my random idea to start a Podcast.
In this episode the wonderful Matthew Hickey took hold of the microphone and interviewed me on the show so far. Now Matthew is the perfect example of one of the great things that has come from this show- many new friendships! I remember the morning the show first went live- I arrived at work to an email from a local Barrister aka Matthew Hickey, thanking me for creating this show. Fast forward 2 years, that email has now turned into a wonderful friendship all thanks to this Podcast. You might recall I interviewed Matthew back in episode 28 (you can listen here). He has been an avid listener of the show, helping me find great guests and sharing ideas along the way. He seemed the obvious choice to me for this special episode and to turn the microphone back onto me as we together explored some of the themes and ideas that have emerged over the past 99 episodes.
This was a beautiful conversation for me and I really want to thank Matthew for his kind participation and wonderful discussion in this episode. I have come to learn so much about lawyers, happiness and our profession thanks to the Podcast and in this episode Matthew and I share those thoughts together. I discuss some of the challenges I have faced along the way, in particular the loss of my brother, and the impact that event has had on me, this show and my family. The chance to reflect on the hours of work that has gone into the show has been a welcome surprise. Listening back now to my very first episode, I could not have imagined where this would have ended up, the people I have met and the listeners who have reached out.
I also want to say ‘Thankyou’ to ‘You’- the listener- for tuning in as you do, listening to the show, sharing the conversations and being a part of my small attempts to make our industry a slightly happier place to be. I hope you enjoy this special episode as much as I enjoyed the chance to prepare it!
In this week’s episode, Matthew and I spoke about-
- The response to the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ and how it has had over 175,000 downloads so far.
- What I love about hosting the podcast.
- We discussed if there are any other letters I need to add into my H-A-P-P-Y acronym now that I have had the chance to speak with 99 happy lawyers!
- Some of the themes that keep coming through- contentment, creativity, presence and acceptance.
- How the drivers of happiness are different for all of us at different stages of our lives.
- How I have managed to keep the podcast going each week!
- The future of our profession- innovation and trying new things while surrounding yourself with new and different ideas.
- Managing negative feedback- my tips thanks to both the podcast and my work life in general.
- The power of mentors and mentoring and how this has featured in my career but also as a theme in the show.
- International guests and how interesting it is that the laweyrs I have interviewed from overseas have such similar experiences to us here in Australia.
- How sharing personal information in ‘law land’ has perhaps not really been the done thing but how my decision to be myself, to share quite openly my experience as been one of the best decisions in my career so far.
- The statistics of the show and where some of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ podcast listeners live.
- Disruption in law and my thoughts on some of the change that is happening in the industry.
- Women in the legal profession and some of the challenges that still are present today and the areas of change that are still needed.
- Conducting yourself authentically and its importance in our life in and outside of the law.
- We discussed social media and the advantages of using it to build relationships, your business and your brand.
- The importance of gratitude when it comes to managing our emotions and mindset.
- How Kindness can be seen as weakness in our profession and how I would love us to change this!
- My favourite happiness tips from the last 99 episodes.
- Giving for the sake of giving is a great way to build relationships. There is a huge place in the world for doing something for kindness sake.
- What is next for me and the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ Podcast
- The concept of doing something different and changing the direction of your life in and outside of the law.
- How you can get on the show!
- The Club and The Podcast and how much Clarissa loves both of these projects.
- Clarissa Rayward’s Happiness Tip after 100 Episodes!
Thank you for listening and I hope you enjoy this episode as much as I have enjoyed the chance to reflect on the many great lawyers I have had the chance to meet so far. Thanks to you all, I sense there is room for another 100 episodes!
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside
of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here