Episode 105 – Faith, Family and Aerobics for happiness with Solicitor Bryan Mitchell
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing solicitor Bryan Mitchell. Bryan is a wills and estates specialist here in Brisbane, running a firm, being a husband and a dad and of course like all of us, trying to find the best way to do it all! I hadn’t met Bryan before this interview and really enjoyed getting to know him through this conversation. Bryan is a serial learner and I fondly labelled him a ‘law nerd’ after it became clear to me early in this conversation that his passion for law comes in large part from the intellectual challenge, the problem solving and the ‘thinking’ part of our role.
Having run his firm for 20 years now, Bryan shared some of his learnings thanks to running a small business. We also discussed some of the challenges that come from not only being a lawyer but also running a small business. Bryan’s practice of law is deeply connected to his personal values and beliefs. He sees value in life long learning, is an avid reader and described that his christian beliefs are at the heart of who he is in all aspects of his life.
Bryan has (and is still having) a wonderful career in law. His centered, focused outlook on life I sense is his secret to happiness. He has a great sense of humour too that will have you laughing along as you listen!
In this interview Bryan and I also chatted about-
- If Bryan was not a lawyer he would have been a teacher.
- Bryan has lived his dream of teaching as an sessional lecturer in Business Law at Christian Heritage College and has also spoken at many conferences.
- Bryan grew up in Kurri Kurri, NSW before moving to Brisbane as a teenager with his family.
- How Bryan fell into Law and his experience studying Law and Commerce at the University of Queensland.
- After graduating, Bryan began his legal career in a general practice firm as an Article Clerk which came with a few ups and downs!
- The topic of kindness in the legal profession and Bryan’s approach to leadership.
- Working in a different firms with different management styles and the effect this has had on Bryan’s career.
- Bryan later came to work in a firm in which he took over in 2006 – “Mitchell’s Solicitors”.
- Bryan shares with us why he chose Wills and Estates to be his favored area of law.
- The pro’s and con’s of owning a legal firm (or any business) and managing the different hats Bryan has had to wear.
- The changes that Bryan has seen and observed in the legal profession over his years of practicing.
- Disruption in law – Bryan’s predictions and the importance of kindness and customer service
- Bryan’s Christian Faith and the way it interacts with his legal career.
- Bryan is a family man and tells us how he manages his ‘work life balance’.
- Fitness is a large part of Bryan’s life as well as singing and time with his beautiful family.
- Bryan’s advice to those who are just starting out in their legal career.
- Bryan’s Happiness Tip
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Bryan Mitchell.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside
of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here