Episode 108 – Lawyer, mum and tech entrepreneur Claudia King on the importance of finding your spirit animals in the law
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing my first New Zealander in Claudia King. Claudia is the creator of Automio, a great legal tech product that helps lawyers automate parts of their business but before being a ‘tech start-up’ Claudia was a lawyer just like you and I. It is just over a year since she sold her legal practice to take on life as a tech entrepreneur and I think we can safely say Claudia has not looked back. I loved the chance to learn more about Claudia and how she has come to find herself taking on the legal tech world one automation at a time!
Life in the law was not unfamiliar to Claudia having grown up with a Dad who was a lawyer in their home town, New Plymouth. Fast forward a few years and Claudia found herself in partnership with her Dad as the two of them explored how they could use technology to improve their service. ‘Legal Beagle’ was born back in 2011- the first online legal service in New Zealand and so began Claudia’s foray into the world of start-ups, technology and entrepreneurship. In 2016 Claudia’s life turned upside down when she lost her father. Claudia shared openly how this event caused her to re-assess and re-think parts of her life and how she has found her way through.
Claudia shared with me her thoughts on the future of law and life for lawyers and the role technology will play. We also discussed happiness of course and Claudia shared many great tips on how she manages her very busy life as a wife, mum and business owner. She is a woman after my own heart- creative, authentic, thoughtful and kind and my favourite take away from our chat was that we all need to find our ‘spirit animals’ in law, and I suggest in life.
In this interview Claudia King and I also chatted about-
- If Claudia was not a lawyer she would have been a fashion designer!
- Thanks to Claudia’s love of colourful fashion, we discussed colour in law (or perhaps the lack of it!)
- Branching out from the usual mould and being who you are authentically.
- Growing up in New Plymouth in New Zealand and how life has taken Claudia back to her home.
- Claudia’s early life in the law in Auckland with KPMG before finding her way into partnership with her dad.
- Her early experience creating Legal Beagle which was the first online legal service in New Zealand.
- The experience of then co-founding Automio with her Dad and where that adventure has now taken her.
- Reassessing your goals after losing a loved one and the effect it has on our perspective.
- Why technology is taking off in the provision of legal services.
- A day in the life of Claudia- from San Fransisco to Sydney!
- The future of law and lawyers from Claudia’s perspective.
- Client centric practice in law and why we need to put ourselves in our clients shoes more often.
- Claudia’s other life being a mum and how she manages the ever asked qustion of ‘The Juggle’!
- Hardship hit Claudia around the time her father passed away and she tells us how she keeps the happiness going in her life.
- Claudia’s advice when it comes to starting your own business, particularly a startup.
- The future for Claudia’s life in and outside of Automio.
- Claudia’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Claudia King.
Learn more here about upcoming events and courses and connect with Clarissa Rayward at the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life’ knowledge centre- A community for lawyers who want to make the best out of their life in and outside of the law.
Listen to last week’s episode here