Having a Successful Career While Putting Your Health, Happiness and Family First with Judge Brian Jordan
My guest in this week’s episode of The Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast is a true example of a successful and happy lawyer. Judge Brian Jordan worked as a solicitor and then barrister, specialising in family law from 1975 to 1991 before being appointed a Judge of the Family Court. He went on to work on the bench for over 23 years before retiring and moving into the next stage of his career as a mediator and arbitrator.
Not only is Brian a wealth of wisdom and experience on legal matters, he’s also someone who’s managed to achieve real happiness for himself and his family, without compromising success in his career. In this episode he talks to me about how he’s managed to consistently achieve that, despite coming up against some major obstacles along the way.
In this episode Brian and I get really into…
- What Brian would have been if he hadn’t had a career in law
- The current pressure on university students and the shocking rates of depression that exist
- The importance of ‘over-preparing’ for cases
- Brian’s health issues and how he thrived in his career in spite of them
- Brian’s steps in preparing in order to become a brilliant practitioner
- How Brian hit the ground running in his career despite initial anxieties
- The highlights of Brian’s judicial career
- Brian’s experience of challenging unrealistic expectations
- How Brian’s desire to be as involved a parent as possible affected his career choices
- The daunting and rewarding responsibility that comes from being a Judge
- Brian’s struggles working on sexual abuse cases and the emotions that come with it
- Mediation as a transition into retirement for Brian
- How Brian’s partner has been instrumental in supporting him throughout his career
- Brian’s Happiness Challenge!
HAPPY LAWYER HAPPY LIFE