Episode 112- ‘Happiness is’ with Judge, Mediator and Mother Michelle May AM QC
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing the wonderful Michelle May AM QC, former Judge of the Family Court of Australia. Michelle has had a distinguished career in law which is continuing thanks to what I am calling her ‘3rd career’ as a mediator and arbitrator. Having fallen into law straight from school, Michelle made her way through and out the other side before finding her way to the Bar in Brisbane. At the time she was one of a handful of women barristers in Queensland and shared wiith me some fascinating insights into life in law at that time (and a little insight into how she and her now husband, former Judge Charles Brabazon QC met!)
At a young age Michelle took silk and at around the same time she and her husband welcomed triplet girls. If that wasn’t enough to keep them both busy, she was shortly thereafter appointed as a Judge in the Family Court. 22 years later, Michelle has much to share about living your best life in the law and I am grateful to have had the chance to capture some of her thoughts in this interview. My favourite tip- knowing people who are not lawyers and spending time with them!
In this interview Michelle May and I also chatted about-
- How Michelle has a love for politics and may have been a polititian if she did not choose law.
- The early influence of Michelle’s mother who herself was a professional woman on Michelle’s career.
- Michelle’s experience at University- initially in politics (including a 12 month exchange to the USA!)
- Her experience starting out as a Judges Associate and some highlights from this experience.
- Her early experience as a Barrister in Brisbane in the 1970’s.
- Becoming a mum to triplets and a few insights into managing that juggle!
- How Michelle and her husband of many years Charles met early in her career.
- Some of the challenges in being a Judge.
- The early days of the Family Court in comparison to the challenges now.
- Michelle’s tips on managing stress in and outside of the law.
- Michelle’s decision to retire from the Family Court in 2017 and her ‘third career’ now.
- The mentors in Michelle’s ‘law life’ and their impact on her career.
- Finding time for your health & happiness in a very busy life.
- The importance of re-setting her priorities as a key to happiness.
- Some of Michelle’s observations about the future- particulalry in family law.
- Michelle’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Michelle May
Listen to last week’s episode here