Episode 113 -Lady.Crim.Lawyers aka Danielle Warren and Erin Mitchell talk friendship, fun & of course law
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing a dynamic duo in Danielle Warren and Erin Mitchell. I have come to know these two thanks to their great Insta account @lady.crim.lawyers and it was such a pleasure to meet them both in person. Danielle and Erin are both senior lawyers in the Potts Lawyers Team on the Gold Coast- a firm known for its expertise in the criminal law space. This is an area of law that I know intrigues most of us who don’t practice in it and I suspect that there are many stereotypes we all associate with being a criminal lawyer. What I love about Danielle and Erin is how they are both challenging those stereotypes as they build their careers.
This was a fun conversation with a serious edge. We discussed some of the challenges women still face in the law, particularly younger women and how Danielle and Erin have worked together as colleagues to support one another to be the best lawyers they can each be. This is also a great interview for anyone who is toying with the idea of how to build a brand within an established law firm brand- Danielle and Erin share how they are going about doing this with the support of their partners at Potts Lawyers.
In this interview Danielle, Erin and I also chatted about-
- If Erin was not a lawyer she would have been an event planner while Danielle would be a marine biologist (which is really a fancy way of saying she would be swimming with the dolphins at Seaworld!)
- Danielle’s early life growing up on the Gold Coast and attending Miami High.
- Erin’s experience having grown up around Ispwich and her decision to move to the Gold Coast for university.
- Their experience at University- both attended Griffith on the Gold Coast but they did not know each other then!
- ‘The Innocence Project’ and the impact this project had on both Erin and Danielle and their ultimate decision to pursue a career in criminal law.
- Young women in the law force and the disadvantages and misconceptions around age and gender that Danielle and Erin have faced.
- Both Danielle and Erin are Senior Criminal Lawyers at Potts Lawyers and I learned just how they have become such wonderful friends through their workplace.
- Dani and Erin’s decision to build a personal brand within the Potts Lawyers brand starting with the Instagram profile ‘lady.crim.lawyers’.
- Instagram and the warm welcome they have received from the rest of the profession and their peers.
- Firm culture and how Danielle and Erin have found happiness in and outside of the law.
- The day to day workings of a Criminal Lawyer.
- How Danielle and Erin manage the ups and downs of a career in the law.
- The importance of a great work culture when it comes to finding satisfaction and purpose in our careers.
- Dealing with stress in the workplace and the pressure of working on difficult criminal cases.
- Tips for young lawyers coming into the professional world, including having an Instagram account!
- Personal branding in the legal profession- Danielle and Erin’s experience so far and where they hope to go next!
- Danielle and Erin’s Happiness Tips.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Danielle Warren and Erin Mitchell.