Episode 115- Lawyer Derek Cronin on the importance of giving when it comes to happiness
In this week’s episode of the Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast I had the pleasure of interviewing commercial lawyer, mentor and all round nice guy Derek Cronin. I had not met Derek prior to this interview and loved every minute of our chat! We talked all sorts of things from Derek’s family heritage on the Gold Coast (there is even a Cronin Island) to his wedding to long time partner Tom to be held at Bond University. And of course, somewhere in between we chatted lots of law!
Derek runs the firm Cronin Miller Litigation on the Gold Coast and I do promise you we talked law, business and the combination of the two. But it was Derek’s personable nature that really had me smiling in this conversation as he shared his love for his partner Tom, his home town of the Gold Coast and of course his love of the work he does. This interview may have you planning a sea change to the Gold Coast as you listen but Derek also gives many great tips on how to live a good life in the law.
In this interview Derek and I also chatted about-
- If Derek was not a lawyer he would have been a travel writer! (yes that really is just a job that gives an excuse for much travel!)
- Derek grew up on the Gold Coast and is a third generation Gold Coast resident and you will hear his love of his home town as we talk.
- Derek’s life growing up on the Gold Coast.
- Derek’s decision to study law and his experience at Bond University.
- Why Derek chose law for his career and how his experience at Bond University played out.
- Derek has a real passion for the city of Gold Coast and now has his own firm in this location!
- Derek is getting married at the Bond University and is the first same sex union performed on Campus.
- After finishing law school he moved into articles and tells us about his experience.
- The advantages and disadvantages of being an Articled Clerk (we traded a few war stories!)
- Derek’s decision to practice in Brisbane in litigation.
- Derek’s decisiont to return home and commence his own boutique firm on the Gold Coast.
- Derek’s experience of running a firm and his tips and tricks for managing a business.
- Branding, the legal market and the goals of a business.
- Derek is passionate about mentoring and his firm supports YPGC (Young Practitioners Gold Coast)
- Team culture and the responsibility of supporting staff within your firm.
- Derek’s support for the Gold Coast Project for Homeless Youth.
- Empathy within the legal sector in contrast with technological advances and Derek’s opinion on this matter.
- Derek’s tips for young lawyers and professionals coming into law.
- What Directors and Principals can learn from younger lawyers as well as support staff.
- The future for Derek Cronin and ‘Cronin Miller Litigation’.
- Technological disruption in law and how these advances have been an advantage for Derek’s firm.
- Working with no distractions of emails, calls and text messages and managing client communication.
- What Derek likes to do when he is not being a lawyer.
- Derek’s perception of happiness and contentment in and outside of the law.
- Derek’s Happiness Tip
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Derek