Episode 117- Be your own biggest fan with ‘almost a lawyer’ Kiarah Grace Kelly
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing the wonderful Kiarah Grace Kelly. Depending on when you are listening to this episode Kiarah will be either ‘almost a lawyer’ or a ‘real life lawyer’ as she is being admitted here in Queensland this week! So what has someone who is not even a lawyer got to tell all of us lawyers about law/ happiness and life you ask? Well a lot! I met Kiarah around 2 years ago now at a law land event and have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know her ever since. From the moment I met Kiarah I had a sense she was someone special- her passion for law is contagious but it is her passion for life that I have really come to love.
This interview is full of all the things I have come to love about Kiarah- her humourous way of communicating, her intellect and her positive outlook on life. But I also came to better understand how the tragic loss of Kiarah’s closest friend in a car accident when she was just 18 underpins so much of how she shows up in the world today. Kiarah is a true representation of a young woman on a mission to leave her mark- a beautiful mark- on the world and I for one am looking forward to seeing just what she might achieve. She put it perfeclty when she said we all need to ‘Be our own biggest fan’ and I sense that is perfect advice no matter your age or stage.
In this interview, Kiarah and I also chatted about-
- If Kiarah was not a lawyer she would have been a journalist (however she has wanted to be a lawyer since grade 5)!
- Growing up on the Gold Coast, Kiarah’s early life was perhaps not the easiest but Mrs Churchouse, her legal studies teacher, inspired her to push on and study law at University.
- Kiarah’s experience at University and how she initially struggled to find her feet.
- Kiarah’s decision during her degree to position herself to pursue a career as a Family Lawyer and how she went about doing this.
- The expectations and pressure that come with law school and Kiarah’s tips on how she managed this.
- Taking every opportunity that comes your way as well as the importance of making sure you are standing right where the opportunities might come!
- Being a Millenial (although Kiarah reminded me she might be too young to be a millenial!) and the need for knowledge sharing between generations in the workplace.
- Kiarah’s advice for students new to studying Law.
- The loss of Kiarah’s partners sister in a tragic road accident at only 18 fundamentally changed her life.
- How the loss of her closest friend threw her life upside down and the impact of the grief of this event on Kiarah’s life but also how a chance opportunity to work with the Qld Government on a road safety campaign for young people enabled Kiarah the sense that she was able to do something to honour Laini’s life.
- Not long after this tragic event, the Road’s Minister wanted to create a new campaign for the young adult’s road safety campaign called ‘Settle Down Stallion’ and Kiarah was heavily involved in this process
- Finding the learnings in those terrible life moments and what this means when it comes back to happiness.
- The importance of authenticity and self-awareness when it comes to our self worth and happiness.
- Kiarah’s interesting view on working with me for the last 5 weeks! (eek!)
- Kiarah’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Kiarah Grace Kelly.