Episode 119 – When sometimes happiness is leaving the law with (former) lawyer Stevie Dillon
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing (former) lawyer Stevie Dillon. I first met Stevie about a year ago now when I attended a great course she was teaching on social media marketing and not long into the day we came to realise we both had a lot more in common than we thought! Stevie is a lawyer although she has not practicsed in the traditional sense for a good few years now. She is one of those smart ones amongst us who took the leap of faith, left the profession and hasn’t looked back since!
Stevie had a pretty conventional path into law school and the practice of law. Landing a great job in a national firm she was well on the way to achieving the goals she had set herself but something was missing. Despite her success in law, Stevie was searching for a way out and in this interview she shares the many steps, turns and hard decisions she had to make to get there. These days she is a very happy entrepreneur, having built a very successful social media consulting practice this past 12 months. We talk about how the skills she learned as a lawyer have been instrumental in helping her kickstart her business and how she now enjoys helping lawyers like you and I better understand how we can build our firms or our personal brands using social media.
Now this is a dangerous interview to be publishing over the Christmas Break- just because Stevie left law doesn’t mean we all should too! However, if that is something you have been considering, then I think this interview will go a long way to helping you unpack that decision (thanks Stevie for the tips!) Stevie is just one of those fun people to be around. I can’t imagine her being anything but a happy (former) lawyer and she is certianly the perfect guest to be bringing us home for this final episode for 2018!
In this interview, Stevie and I also chatted about-
- If Stevie was not a lawyer she would have been a journalist.
- Growing up on the Gold Coast, Stevie chose law by chance- she really did have her heart set on being a journalist.
- Getting good grades and then the pressure of needing to live up to our own expectations.
- Stevie’s early life in the Law in a national firm on the Gold Coast.
- The decision to travel! (aka her first escape from law!)
- Why Stevie left law for marketing.
- Finding fulfilment in and outside of the law.
- The deep unknown of leaving a secure job and Stevie’s journey of starting her own business this past year.
- ‘Stevie Gets Social’ is her Social Media Marketing firm where she helps business owners and professionals improve their Social Media presence
- Stevie’s top tips for using Social Media within a law firm.
- As a lawyer, the line of being professional but still personal on social media can be a hard one to manage but in good news, Stevie had some great tips for us all here.
- The importance of understanding and articulating your point of difference in a busy marketplace.
- We chatted #instagram because we could! (It’s no secret- we both love insta!)
- We touched on Facebook and Linkedin for lawyers too!
- We talked happiness- Stevie’s observations both from being in the profession and now looking in from the outside.
- And of course, Stevie’s Happiness Tip
Sit back and enjoy this final interview for 2018 with Stevie Dillon.