Episode 12 – Lawyer Justin Paddon on why a positive attitude is a key to happiness
My guest in this week’s episode of The Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast is Justin Paddon- a lawyer who always seems to see the glass as half full, even when it comes to law!
Like me, Justin is a family lawyer, working at the Queensland firm, Kennedy Spanner, based right here in Brisbane. Justin has only this year returned to Brisbane after a few years working in the beautiful North Queensland tropics in Townsville.
Justin is an avid sportsman- no doubt had he not pursued his career in the law we would find him on a football field somewhere but most interestingly, Justin brings all that his years in team sports have taught him to his work and this is where his strengths lie. His positivity is contagious and you will no doubt find yourself, like me, feeling energised and happier just hanging out with Justin.
Justin, like all of us has faced challenges in his life, but it is his outlook that most inspired me- he sees the best in everything, brings vigour to all that he does and is one very ‘Happy Lawyer’ so I am sure you will enjoy hearing from someone who has found a way to get there!
In this episode we get into all that, plus loads more including…
- What Justin would have been if he hadn’t become a lawyer
- How Justin’s interest in politics led him into law
- The life lessons Justin learned in the early days
- How having a teamwork mentality helps Justin in and out of work
- The importance of being able to have a genuine conversation working as a lawyer
- Justin’s steps on how to always be finding new ways of learning as a young lawyer and student
- Justin’s approach to staying positive and avoiding negative spirals
- Being supportive and making sure that communication lines are always open with friends and colleagues
- Justin’s routine of healthy activity and making sure he eats right
- The importance of food as fuel – how Justin maintains his energy that brings him happiness in his professional and home life
- Justin’s thought on why having low energy is not only a disservice to you but to your clients as well
- Choosing and controlling our mindset
- Why connectivity is one of the biggest causes of unhappiness among lawyers and what you can do to combat that
- Theories around happiness: passion and authenticity
- Justin’s mentors in law land
- Justin’s Happiness Challenge!
HAPPY LAWYER HAPPY LIFE