Episode 121- Empathy- a superpower and a curse with nurse and now lawyer Clare Jobson
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing the wonderful Clare Jobson, former nurse and now lawyer. I’ve come to know Clare over the last year during which time she has moved from Adelaide to Brisbane thanks to her defence force partner’s posting. Clare has had an interesting career, prior to becoming a lawyer, as a paediatric nurse. I wanted to understand how a nurse decides to become a lawyer and how Clare has managed the transitions involved in being a defence force spouse.
I got the answers to my questions and so much more. Clare is a wonderful person to spend time with and has all of the traits I have come to see in the happy lawyers I meet. I expect it is this skill set that would have held her well in nursing and that she now brings to her life as a lawyer. She has worked in Darwin, Sydney, Adelaide and now Brisbane which makes for a great conversation about the differences in legal communities and practice around Australia.
We spoke about the importance of giving things a go which is really how Clare found her way into law in the first place. Fast forward a few years and Clare is now running a successful sole practice between Adelaide and Brisbane. We spoke about how technology is enabling her to do this and how she manages the lifestyle that comes with her partner’s career as they move around Australia for his career in the defence force. This is a great interview for anyone that has been thinking about career transition but also anyone that is having to move and re-establish their connections and communities. My learning in all of this was a reminder about just how important it is for us all to feel like we are part of something bigger than us and as a dear friend of mine says to be often- ‘To find your tribe’.
In this interview Clare and I also chatted about-
- If Clare was not a lawyer she would have opened a puppy cuddling cafe! (the most random answer I have had in 121 episodes I think!)
- Clare grew up in Adelaide and after high school studied nursing as she wanted to help people.
- She refers to her empathy as both a superpower and a curse. She tried to resist her gift after years working in this emotionally draining role.
- It was her desire to leave the emotion associated with nursing and the challenges she saw for patients behind that had her first exploring law.
- Although Clare loved people she needed a break so off to Darwin she went to study law.
- Collecting life experiences Clare shares how her nursing career has helped her in her career now in law.
- Clare’s first legal role working on native title in Darwin.
- The heat in Darwin and the shoes that Clare lost while working there!
- Clare met her current Military husband in Darwin and was posted to Sydney NSW, where she initially found it difficult to find a legal role after the Global Financial Crisis in 2008. Not one to give up, Clare started volunteering which let to a series of wonderful roles in the community legal sector in Sydney over the coming years.
- How Clare’s varied experience in and out of law have assisted her with her work.
- Clare’s advice to those who may be in a place of doubt in their career or study.
- Being a Defence spouse working in the legal world and how Clare now manages the regular moves around Australia.
- Clare decided to open her own legal practice in June 2015 and tells us how she came to start her own business.
- Marilyn Monroe has become Clare Jobson’s alter ego for good reason and she shares her involvement in the charity ‘The Marilyns’.
- After recently moving to Brisbane, Clare is managing her firm, CJ Legal, remotely.
- The importance of community and connection and how Clare has built this around her, making moves like her recent one so much more manageable.
- Clare’s purpose and her ‘Why’ which is connected to her desire to help others and how this has connected her 2 careers so far in nursing and now in law.
- The impact of health and stress on our lives and Clare’s tips for managing.
- Clare’s Happiness Challenge
Sit back and enjoy this interview with the delightful Clare Jobson.