20 / Feb / 2019 | Podcast
Episode 127 – Happiness thanks to a love of the law and green smoothies with lawyer Kate Avery
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing personal injuries lawyer and all round green smoothie addict, Kate Avery. Another Brisbane local, Kate is the co-owner of the firm Kare lawyers. I knew there was a story to be told here and there was!
Kate is a PI lawyer and a few years ago took the leap of faith with her colleague Renee Eglinton to start their own micro practice and they have together gone from strength to strength. In this day and age of large national law firms somewhat owning the PI space it was so interesting to hear from Kate just how and why she and Renee have invested in their own practice.
Like so many of us Kate is also juggling her many roles of mum, lawyer, wife and business owner. She has a keen focuses on maintaing her own health to ensure she is the best for her loved ones and had some great tips to share in this chat on health and her top secret health win- the green smoothie!
Kate has had moments of loving the law and some moments of less than loving the law and in this chat shares how she has kept all of that in perspective while focusing on finding her joy in the challenge and opportunities her role brings.
In this interview Kate and I also chatted about-
- If Kate was not a lawyer she would have become a dietitian.
- Kate grew up in Beaudesert just west of Brisbane. She grew up with another great guest of mine John Cahill and together they were hanging out with her now husband David at pre-school! (Back in the day!)
- Kate fell into law which she studied in Brisbane before taking her first role in a firm in Toowoomba.
- The early years of Kate’s legal career and the advantages of working in a small town.
- Kate has always worked in the area of personal injuries and tells us the highs and lows of working in this area of the law.
- Kate and her husband David wanted to start a family and so she moved into insurance Law as she felt it would take less of an emotional toll on Kate.
- After being in Insurance Law for 9 years and her youngest going to school, Kate started her own firm, Kare Lawyers with her colleague and friend Renee Eglington.
- Running her own firm gave Kate the flexibility to work from home while raising her two small children.
- 3 years on from starting her firm, Kate loves the challenge, creativity and working with a team.
- Tips from Kate on starting a firm of her own.
- Managing a business and if Kate would recommend starting a firm to others.
- Kate’s passion for food and health and using this to show love to her family.
- Kates good advice of ‘comparison is the death of joy’ and the life that comes with a new day.
- Moving her body and being outside is great for Kate’s mental health and she encourages us to do the same.
- The future of Kare Lawyers, moving into a permanent space and how a co-working space has worked for her business.
- The changes that have happened in the area of personal injury law and Kate’s predictions for the future.
- Kate’s Happiness Tip
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Kate Avery.