Episode 130 – When life in the law is not for you….. but something else really is with law grad turned homewares queen Phoebe Bell
A few weeks ago I got to hang out in Melbourne with an amazing woman, designer and creator in Phoebe Bell. Now Phoebe is not really a lawyer any more in the ‘literal’ interpretation of that word but I didn’t have to hunt far in this interview to learn that it is many of the skills she learned at law school that are now her super powers when it comes to her life now. Phoebe like so many of us bounced off to law school straight after school. But a few years into her degree she realised quite quickly that a life in the law was not really for her.
A few twists and turns later and Phoebe is now the creator of the stunning Australian homewares brand Sage and Clare. In this interview I got to understand just how Phoebe has gone from a potential career in the law to instead running a vibrant international homewares business playing with colour, creativity, design and joy.
If you know anything about me it will be no surprise to you that I loved every minute of this chat. I advocate heavily for the importance of pursuing a life that is true to you embracing joy and finding your own happiness. I wanted Phoebe on the show because I hear so often from lawyers who have found themselves in a place where the law is no longer fit them. That place can be scary and difficult to navigate and the question of ‘where to next?’ is a really tricky one to answer.
But in this interview Phoebe gives some wonderful advice for all of us on what to do in those moments, how to take our skills and apply them somewhere differently and importantly how to build a life that is just ‘you’.
(And yes, I suspect if you love homewares like me you will thank me for this introduction to a home grown talent- go and check out Phoebe’s beautiful treasures here.)
In this interview, Phoebe and I also chatted about-
- How if Phoebe was not a lawyer she would have been a surgeon or a paramedic (still a long way from where she is now!)
- Growing up in Melbourne and having a twin sister.
- Life at law school and that moment 3 years in where she started to question if that path really was for her.
- The aspects of studying law at Melbourne University that Phoebe loved.
- While in law school Phoebe mostly worked in retail and soon realised the importance of creativity to her happiness.
- Her decision not to pursue a graduate legal role at the end of her career and instead to take a position as a stylist with Country Road.
- Fast forward a few more twists and turns and Phoebe found herself in India- this trip set off a chain of events that I think we can say changed Phoebe’s life for the better in so many ways.
- Phoebe fell in love with India and shares her experience in this beautiful country.
- The beginnings of her business Sage and Clare- 2 containers, an apartment and a website!
- The parallels between starting any sort of business, whether it be homewares or a law firm, including self-belief and the capacity to back yourself.
- How the thinking that Phoebe learned at law school has been invaluable to her homewares business.
- A day in the life of Phoebe as a Mum and successful business owner.
- The future of Sage and Clare.
- Phoebe’s tips on creating and maintaining happiness and wellness
- The moment’s of self doubt that Phoebe has had over her study and career shift and how she has realised her contribution to the world.
- The psychology of colour and the effect on our mental health.
- Phoebe’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Phoebe Bell.