Episode 136 – From selling lipstick to starting a law firm with Julann Tiernan
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing lawyer Julann Tiernan. Julann is based on the sunny Gold Coast where she has recently launched her own solo and virtual legal practice! Now it is no secret that I love learning from fellow lawyer business owners but I soon came to learn that Julann has had one of the most interesting careers in and out of law yet! Starting her ‘legal life’ as a police officer, Julann found herself working on the glitter strip that is Surfers Paradise! I did get her talking about her life in the Police Force and I sense there are many more stories there for another day but between that, being a mum to 5 kids, somehow putting herself through law school, and working all the while too- this lawyer can teach us all a good few life lessons I suspect!
Julann herself says she never really imagined that at 40 she would find herself getting admitted but she did and a few years down the track (I won’t give away her age other than to say this interview goes live a day after a very exciting birthday milestone- Happy Birthday Julann!) she has started her own firm, Tiernan Family Law- a virtual legal practice. Now in amongst running her own practice Julann also manages to be a wife and mum to 5 so I determined she was perfectly placed to share lots of tips on how she has done it all all these years!
- If Julann was not a lawyer she would have been a writer.
- The importance of creativity and how Julann makes time and space for this aspect of her life.
- Julann grew up in Brisbane just a few streets from my home!
- The reason that Julann chose to study law and her journey to law land.
- Julann started out at QIT (QUT) studying journalism and then moved on to Psychology at Queensland University.
- After her time at University Julann made the move and became a police officer on the Gold Coast.
- Julann’s experience working as a police officer.
- Her decision to start law (whilst managing becoming a mum and maintaining her career as a police officer!)
- Julann’s move into legal practice- first as a paralegal and later as a solicitor.
- The importance of great mentors in those early stages of her legal career.
- Julann’s decision to start her own virtual firm, Tiernan Family Law.
- Technology’s advances and the impact on small business.
- Julann’s joys and fears of running her own business.
- The personal and practical challenges that come with starting a virtual firm.
- Julann’s firm is totally fixed fee and the advantages that come with this style of billing.
- Authenticity has always been one of Julann’s priorities both in and outside of the law.
- Julann’s tips on managing the juggle of family, work and downtime.
- In her younger years, Julann competed as a bodybuilder and fitness is still important in her life
- The future for Tiernan Family Law.
- Julann’s advice for those starting their legal career or studies.
- The impact that self-doubt can have on our lives in and outside of the law.
- Julann’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Julann Tiernan