Episode 138 -From Surf Reports to Law Reports with Lawyer Dan Rogers
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing specialist criminal lawyer Dan Rogers. Dan is a Principal at Robertson O’Gorman– a firm with a strong reputation here in Queensland for advocacy in areas of human rights and civil liberties and criminal law. When he is not running a busy criminal law practice, Dan is volunteering in his role as President of the Caxton Legal Centre- Queensland’s largest community legal centre. Dan’s life in the law has to a degree come full circle- it was his experience at the Caxton Legal Centre on a High School work experience program that inspired him to pursue law and now, many years down the track and many hours of volunteering later, he is leading that organisation.
Whilst being a talented advocate, Dan like so many of us is wearing many hats- Boss, Lawyer, Husband, Father, Colleague and Friend and it was his advice on making the most of all of the facets of your life that I really enjoyed in this interview. Dan is a ‘happy lawyer’ as I see that phrase- he sees the best in all that is around him and credits health, relationships, fitness and nature as the things he draws upon for his happiness.
- If Dan was not a lawyer he would have been a park ranger.
- Dan grew up in Brisbane in Hawthorn, but spent a lot of his childhood in the great outdoors.
- Dan’s early exposure to law at the Caxton Legal Centre and his involvement ever since.
- Dan’s experience at University here in Brisbane and his focus on Social Justice and Criminal law.
- While Dan completed article he also worked in the media as a radio host doing surf reports!
- Dan’s first ‘law land’ job as an Articled Clerk at Robertson O’Gorman.
- Dan life as a lawyer- from criminal law to professional misconduct.
- Dan’s advice for all of us on dealing with professional complaints.
- A day in the life of a Criminal Lawyer.
- The stereotypes of a Criminal Lawyers and the aspects of advocacy that Dan loves.
- The downsides of being a Criminal Lawyer and how to emotionally deal with subject matter.
- The story behind Robertson O’Gorman and it’s focus over the years.
- Dan’s tips for managing his workload in and outside of the law.
- Dan’s happiness drivers- health and fitness, family and relationships and nature.
- Purpose has been a large driver for Dan, he is passionate about helping others.
- Dan’s biggest learnings from his legal career.
- Dan’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Dan Rogers