Episode 146 – How changing your perspective can change how you feel with lawyer Marnie Carroll
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing lawyer Marnie Carroll. We can all thank Instagram for connecting me with Marnie who last year decided to set herself a bit of a happiness challenge, starting a campaign with her wife focused on purposeful living after a difficult 2017. Marnie is a contract lawyer by day at DLA Piper- a role that she really loves. But through her decision last year to change how she was living, Marnie has come to find a deep sense of purpose and balance between her work inside the law and her life outside of it.
I loved learning a little more about Marnie- I always enjoy her instagram updates and her perspective on life but in this chat I got to dig a little deeper and understand just how and why she has made the changes she has in her life. Happiness, wellness and living a great life in her way are big themes in this chat and I encourage you to jump over and join Marnie with her ‘Better Human project’ work too. From probono opportunuties in Vanuatu to complex contracts for wind farms this chat had it all!
In this interview, Marnie Carroll and I also chatted about-
- If Marnie was not a lawyer she would have been a humanitarian or a Law Lecturer.
- Marnie grew up on the Gold Coast and is still a Gold Coast girl at heart.
- Marnie ‘peacefully breaks the rules’ and shares where her advocacy passion originates.
- Marnie started her career in an Arts Degree from Griffith and moved to London for a time.
- Living overseas and the independence we learn when we step outside of our comfort zones.
- Marnie saw herself in litigation but early in her career found herself in contract work which she has really come to love.
- Innovation in Contractual Law space and Marnie’s view of how to overcome the disconnect that can occur when communicating between parties.
- Marnie is connected heavily to Vanuatu and has worked as Legal advisor for the government, as well as lecturing at the University of the South Pacific- opportunities that have been available thanks to the incredible pro bono schemes available at DLA Piper.
- Marie is currently working for DLA Piper and shares her work experience in this global firm!
- Marnie had a difficult 2017 and in the new year decided, with her wife, to start fresh with a new structure for her life.
- Marnie made a choice to become a better human by focusing on her mind, body, other people, & the planet.
- Shifting the way which Marnie approaches her life has been a dramatic change and has led her to start the ‘Better Human Project’.
- Marnie encourages us to make changes by taking a step back and changing our perspective in all areas of our lives.
- Marnie openly speaks about her self awareness journey and is a testament to how we all cope with law-land differently.
- Marnie’s predictions for the future of Big Law.
- The future of Marnie in ‘Law Land’ and her mental health journey.
- Being present in our daily lives and speaking up when we are struggling in life.
- Marnie enjoy’s her daily runs to collect her thoughts.
- Marnie’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Marnie Carroll.