Episode 147 – From an (almost) popstar to true ‘lawstar’ with Lana Woltman
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Lana Woltman a former (almost) pop star now lawyer from the beautiful Gold Coast. Lana is bundle of joy and fun and I promise will have you smiling along with her during this chat. Having grown up on the Gold Coast, Lana found herself pursuing her passion for music and the stage both at school and later at University. She did tell me that if she wasn’t a lawyer she would be a Rock Star and I sense she really is in her own way! Having finished her music degree and pursing that career for a few years a chance motor vehicle accident had Lana dealing with solicitors for the first time in her life. Another chance comment led to her following her intuition and pausing that music career for a law career and she hasn’t looked back.
Lana is a personal injuries lawyer now working at Slater and Gordon Lawyers on the Gold Coast. She thoroughly enjoys the practice of law, helping her client overcome often significant tragedy. Lana shared so many great insights in this chat all around the theme of happiness- from building resilience, being tenacious, celebrating success and importantly, being kind to yourself along the way too. I loved this chat and I am sure you will too.
- If Lana was not a lawyer she would have been a rock star! (and for a while there she sort of was!)
- The correlations between the arts and creativity and law.
- Lana grew up on the Gold Coast and you will soon hear her passion for her city!
- Lana’s early life and the influence of her passion for music.
- How Lana found herself in law.
- Working in hospitality has taught Lana to problem solve and these skills have been invaluable through the start of her legal career.
- Creativity in law from Lana’s perspective.
- How persistence in Lana’s first years paid off in the end, getting her first foot in the door in a firm.
- Lana has found that working her way through most roles in a law firm has given her great experience.
- Lana is currently working at Slater and Gordon and is a Personal Injury Lawyer.
- The reason that Lana loves personal injury law and how she works with her clients.
- Handling the stereotypes of what it means to be a lawyer when those stereotypes don’t necessarily apply to you.
- Empathy is a key part of Lana’s role and her perspective on the importance of empathy on the future of law.
- Using technology to help clients understand legal advice.
- The importance of real-world experience when applying for careers.
- Why looking after yourself and taking care of who you are is so important.
- Learning to drop her ego and striving for excellence, not perfection.
- Lana’s advice to those who are coming through the profession.
- Lana’s Happiness Tip
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Lana Woltman.