Episode 15 – Tony Phillips on Combining Wellness, Health and Happiness with Award-Winning Success
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
Welcome to The Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast and my guest in this episode is the inspiring and all-round superstar, Tony Phillips. Like me, Tony is a family lawyer and has over 30 years’ experience in Law Land! He has a string of impressive accolades on his CV, including being named in the Top 4 of all Family Lawyers in Queensland by The Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession in 2012, and also being named as one of the most preeminent family lawyers in Queensland in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Tony is the Owner and Managing Director of Phillips Family Law, a firm in which he’s created an environment where employees are happy to come to work. They manage to focus on wellness, health and happiness, while at the same time being one of the best family law firms in Australia. In this conversation, Tony shares his story with me and how he’s cultivated such an incredible workplace. Enjoy!
In this episode we talk about:
- What Tony would be doing if he weren’t a lawyer
- The impact that technology has had on the legal industry
- Working smarter and relaxing smarter
- The importance of leadership and creating a culture in your office environment
- How mindfulness has become a part of office culture at Phillips Family Law and why it’s helped in delivering calm and measured responses to difficult situations
- The responsibilities of a family lawyer and how Tony deals with that
- Tony on what it takes to be the best possible lawyer you can be
- How Tony maintains longevity in his young employees
- Accepting that you can’t do everything and trusting your colleagues and the quality of work that they do
- Knowing the different skill-sets of your teams and tapping into those skills
- How Tony has managed to address many of the drivers of unhappiness at his firm while keeping in place some of the traditional elements that we often associate with law practice
- How Tony manages the big question of happiness – for himself and for his team
- What gives Tony the biggest buzz in the legal industry
- Tony’s advice for young lawyers
- The most important skill of all
- Tony’s ‘Happiness Challenge’!
HAPPY LAWYER HAPPY LIFE