Episode 150 – Pizza, Parenting, Law and life with Senior Legal Counsel Erin Walford
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing lawyer Erin Walford- an all round pizza loving Senior Legal Counsel at Dominos Pizza here in Brisvegas! I have come to conclude that Erin has one of the most enjoyable jobs in law land- I mean she really does get to make (and eat!) pizza for a living. But on a more serious note, Erin has built a very successful career in law through consistent learning and growth.
When Erin is not making pizza or at least doing all the legal bits that enable Dominos to do all that it does, she is running around being a mum and had some great tips on how she manages the ever talked about ‘juggle’. I love the chance to catch Erin on the show this week. We have tried for almost 12 months now to make this interview happen and I really resonated with many of the tips Erin shared on managing the competing pressure of our profession, with her family, passions and everything else she is managing to fit in. There is a lot in this interview that I think we can all take on board when it comes to building happiness in our careers.
- If Erin was not a lawyer she would have been a Grandmother (according to her 6 year old self) or Marine Biologist.
- Erin grew up in the Whitsundays, QLD with a family of small business owners.
- Erin moved to Brisbane at the age of 16 and completed her law and business degree.
- Erin first role in the law.
- Salaries and the expectations of a graduate lawyer.
- Erin started her legal career in insurance law which was followed by property law and finally, she landed in franchising law.
- Erin’s experience in Nashville (yes the USA) including loving country music.
- Becoming a mother as a lawyer and how the balance between the two roles can be found.
- Erin’s role at Dominos.
- Erin explains the structure of a senior in-house counsel and the aspects of her role she loves.
- The reason that she loves to serve pizza in-store, and on her own time!
- Customer service is a passion for Erin and she shared with me just how that has really helped her in her legal career.
- A day in the life of Erin Walford.
- Having the right support network, not only in the family but in law, is very important to Erin.
- This year, Erin was part of the Dancing CEO‘s and won the community awareness award after her many months of incredible fundraising and campaigning for the Women’s legal service .
- The next steps for Erin in and outside of the law.
- What Erin would say to anyone considering an in-house legal role.
- Erin’s advice for applying for jobs and how to best prepare for an interview.
- Changing our language around difficult situations and being intentional about our own thinking.
- Erin’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Erin Walford