Episode 151 – Carly Stebbing asks, ‘If you weren’t afraid what would you do?’
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of hanging out in a ballgown, pre-awards dinner with the wonderful Carly Stebbing. Carly is an employment lawyer by day- running her own award winning Boutique Practice Resolution123- and by every other minute is a mum, wife and devotee of all things family. I have come to know Carly this past year thanks to the inter-webs where she is a regular supporter of so many of us in the law that are looking to do things differently. A few years ago Carly took a courageous step herself to create her own practice with nothing more than $6,000 and a whole lot of determination and fast forward a few years she now employs her husband and many others and is fast building a practice that is providing the best of legal services but also a flexible work culture and cost effective solutions for her clients.
As a specialist employment lawyer, Carly is passionate about ensuring that access to legal advice and assistance is not beyond the reach of any employee. From an easy to access app to full service bespoke solutions, Carly and her team have built an employment last firm for the future- and I suspect the fun has just begun!
Carly and I also spoke about-
- If Carly was not a lawyer she still would have been an employment lawyer…. or perhaps a Vet!
- Carly grew up in South West Sydney and enjoyed the multicultural aspect of this part of Sydney.
- We discussed Carly’s journey into a brand new University following high school.
- Carly’s experience of living with family in Italy, while she deferred from her double degree of Business and Law.
- The advantage of taking some time to find yourself.
- How Carly started in employment law.
- Employer and Employee law- which Carly prefers and why.
- Why Carly started her own firm, Resolution 123, in 2017.
- How Carly’s passion to help those who need but cannot afford legal services has driven much of her innovation.
- Discussing the question, ‘If you weren’t afraid what would you do?’ and how Carly has used this question to push her own decision making.
- Tech startup communities and their influence on Carly’s experience of starting her own business to solve client problems.
- Creating a business for balance and Carly’s advice to those wanting some balance in their career.
- The idea of flexibility for lawyers and if it is attainable.
- How Carly’s family life has changed since she started her business.
- Women and men’s rights in the workforce when talking about paid parental leave.
- Carly’s tips for living, working and starting a business as a woman in a large city.
- Carly’s Happiness Tip
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Carly Stebbing.