Episode 152 – Why Happiness is really all about how you see the world with Barrister Jen Sheean
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Barrister Jen Sheean. I love a good chat with our Barrister friends- I am coming to learn that they tend to be a cohort of deep thinkers, problem solvers and lovers of the legal geek part of the law! And Jen was all of those things and so much more. Jen’s ‘Law Land’ life has not necessarily been a traditional one- like for so many of us ‘life’ has at times meant that her ‘law life’ took some unexpected turns but for a long time she knew that life at the Bar was where she wanted to be and in this chat she shared with me the fun she has had as she found her way there.
Jen’s sage advice throughout this interview on overcoming challenge, seeing good in the world and never giving up on your dreams rang true with me and had me smiling along with her. Another great lawyer doing great things with a fascinating life story to go with it all!
- If Jen was not a lawyer she would have been a teacher of any sort!
- The reason that Jen loves to teach and see people grow.
- Jen grew up on the Northside of Brisbane and shares her memories of this time in her life.
- The story behind how Jen found herself in Law, including starting out at secretarial college.
- Finding the theory behind the practice of law and the different learning styles of lawyers.
- Having to chose between becoming a Judge’s associate and travelling the world- it was an easy choice in the end!
- Jen’s experience working in the NSW Court of Appeals with some legendary Judges (including my favourite Rockstar of law the Hon. Michael Kirby (listen to his episode here)
- Jen is passionate about advocacy and this led her to become a barrister.
- Jen’s time in Chile and while raising two young children.
- Jen moved into a full-time lecturer at the College of Law teaching legal subjects across the board.
- Jen’s transition to the Bar- the Bar Practice Course and all things in Barrister land!
- Jen’s focus as a Barrister is family and estate law.
- The pro’s (and cons) of working at the Bar from Jen’s perspective.
- Learning for the sake of learning.
- Happiness in ‘Law Land’ and how Jen has managed her happiness in law through some of the more challenging times.
- Jen’s parenting tips for teenagers!
- Jen’s love for the law has always stemmed from her love of people.
- Jen’s future in law and her predictions for the future for our profession more generally.
- Jen’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Jen Sheean.