Episode 154 – From Musical Theatre to Happy Lawyer with Hannah Daley.
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Hannah Daley a family lawyer with a side love of all things singing, dancing and musical theatre! I first met Hannah a few year’s ago when she joined the cast for my last charity Pantomime (that is a story for another day!) and I can tell you- Hannah is an all round singing/ dancing and acting star so it is no surprise to me that her decision between the performing arts and law was a tough one to make.
These days Hannah is a family lawyer here in Brisbane and a strong advocate for young lawyers in our profession. Having been a Board Member of the Qld Young Lawyers for many years now, Hannah has a good sense of the challenges facing new lawyers and graduates as well as the employers hiring them. Hannah shared many great tips in this interview that will be really helpful for anyone starting out in their legal career.
When it comes to happiness it is the simple things that keep Hannah going- her friends and family, dancing and I suspect some singing in the shower too! This was a fun conversation and a great reminder once again that there is no one way to kick start your career in law and what matters is finding your way.
- If Hannah was not a lawyer she would have been in musical theatre.
- Hannah grew up in the small town of Warrick.
- Hannah’s legal studies teacher sparked her interest in the law and she went on to Study Law at QUT.
- Completing a dual degree in law and journalism and the advantages of taking both.
- Hannah was attracted to the human element of family law as well as criminal law.
- Hannah completed her post-grad placement at the now Naughton McCarthy where she continues to practice today.
- Hannah took a ‘sabbatical’ and spent time as an Associate after 2 years of practice in family law.
- Hannah’s time on appeals in Family Court working with Justice Michael Kent.
- A day in the life of Hannah the family lawyer.
- As an active board member for Qld Young Lawyers Hannah was recently involved in a ‘Confidence in the courtroom workshop’ and her advice for new lawyers preparing matters for the court.
- Taking the time to share aspirations with others both in and outside of the law.
- Hannah’s perspective on the issues facing the young lawyers of this tine.
- The power of sharing your career aspirations with senior solicitors and the commitment from both sides to mentor our junior lawyers.
- When she is not ‘being a lawyer’ how Hannah spends her time.
- Hannah’s involvement in Queensland Young Lawyers and the advantage of having open discussions with fellow lawyers.
- The importance of committees and giving your time to others to help their careers.
- Hannah’s tips for new lawyers coming into practice.
- Hannah’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Hannah Daley.