Episode 155 – When chasing your dreams means changing your path with athlete/ lawyer/ now finance guru Leigh McBean
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of hanging out with lawyer/ athlete/ now finance guru Leigh McBean. Now if ever there was an example of the saying ‘there are many ways to be a lawyer’ Leigh is it! He didn’t set out to be a lawyer and in fact was a professional athlete- being a part of the Australian swimming team before an injury pushed those dreams aside before he had really even had a chance to chase them. And so a few fork in the road moments led to Leigh studying law and finance and practicing law on the Gold Coast before taking some time to undertake a Masters that has fast led to his role in business now with ‘RateSetter‘.
This conversation has a bit of everything- from law to much on life to chasing dreams, to losing those dreams and rebuilding yourself thereafter. We talked family, ‘the juggle’ and the differing pressures on men and women in business. So much of Leigh’s outlook on life resonated with me and I know you will take something from this interview too.
In this interview, Leigh and I also chatted about-
- If Leigh was not a lawyer he would have been an engineer.
- Leigh was born in Geelong and grew up on the Gold Coast.
- Some of Leigh’s favourite memories from his childhood were his connection to the bush and the ocean.
- Completing a double degree in finance and law through Bond University.
- Leigh was a practicing lawyer and shares his journey into law land.
- Influences in Leigh’s legal life and the effect his associates had 0n his career path.
- The industry standard of emails and communication between lawyers and changes that need to happen.
- Leigh’s perspective on juggling life and the law.
- Leigh’s was a high-level swimmer and unfortunately had an injury which pushed him out of the sport well before he had hoped.
- Overcoming hardship and starting something new.
- The correlation between sport and the law.
- Leigh’s passion for sports was transferred into his legal career.
- Leigh’s advice for those considering a change in their career.
- The advantages of being on Boards to broaden horizons.
- The start of Leigh’s career in finance through ‘Rate Setter’.
- Leigh passion of creating a service that helps the lawyer and client manage fees.
- How Rate Setter works and the advantages it has for legal clients.
- Leigh’s passion for people drives him to make a difference, for him, this is through finance.
- Leigh’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Leigh McBean.