Episode 156 – Happiness in finding your tribe, your career and your success with Barrister Nola Pearce
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of hanging out with Barrister Nola Pearce. From Surf Boats to secret agents to health and gratitude this interview had a bit of everything and so many great tips on happiness along the way too.
Nola knew from the age of 7 that she wanted to be a Barrister and these days that is exactly what she does. But her path to the Bar has involved many interesting roles as she has built her knowledge and found her ‘thing’ in law land. Nola works primarily in the areas of professional liability and disciplinary proceedings for professionals in an array of professional areas. This is a niche that I didn’t know too much about and one that Nola has fast built a strong practice in, both as a solicitor and more recently as a Barrister.
Despite her obvious capabilities as a lawyer, what I came to learn about Nola in this interview was a whole lot more. Her deep sense of purpose, her fun outlook on even the more mundane parts of life and of course how health and fitness are her secret weapon to her success. And when I say health and fitness we are not talking daily walks! Nola is a talented rower from still water rowing to Surf Boats meaning early mornings and strenuous training but a routine that she credits to so much of her own success in and outside of her career.
In this interview, Nola and I also chatted about-
- If Nola was not a lawyer she may have been a secret agent!
- Nola had to make a decision between the law and medicine and why she chose the Law (including advice from at friend at age 7).
- Nola was born a Brisbane girl and now resides on the Gold Coast.
- The role of fitness in Nola’s life and her time spent rowing a boat over the surf!
- Nola’s day to day needs to include a run and a good amount of sleep.
- Nola started her studies at the University of Queensland with a double degree in Political Science and Law.
- How Nola found her passion for the law and how she found the application vs the study of law.
- Nola started articles halfway through her degree and then spent many years working in a disciplinary area of the law.
- Nola always had aspirations to become a barrister and she tells us her journey to The Bar.
- Nola’s first year in the Bar on Level 27.
- Generosity of both time and resources within the members of the Bar.
- Nola’s experience of being an Advocate vs being a Solicitor.
- Where Nola finds her happiness in her work.
- Women in the legal workforce and defining personal success.
- The stigma of success in the law and Nola’s perspective on this matter.
- Nola’s experience of self care and her tips for looking after yourself.
- The percentages of Men and Women in the Bar as well as inequitable briefing policies.
- Nola’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Nola Pearce.