Episode 16-Cassandra Heilbronn on building a personal brand and fusing your passion and career in the legal industry
In this episode of the Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast, I’m thrilled to be speaking with fellow Brisbane-based lawyer, Cassandra Heilbronn. Cassandra is becoming an increasingly important voice in the legal industry, currently working as a Senior Associate at Minter Ellison and also acting as the President of the Women Lawyers Association of Queensland.
Somehow, Cassandra also manages to find the time to maintain a killer social media presence. Her blog, Life of a Lawyer, keeps me entertained as do her twitter and instagram accounts and of course her knowledge on the world of ‘sports law’. Here, she shares her journey with me plus loads of great advice and insights into law land and how to make the most out of having an online brand.
In this episode we talk about:
- What Cassandra would be doing if she weren’t a lawyer
- Managing to combine her passion with her career in the legal industry
- The importance of court experience for Cassandra in her junior years
- Cassandra’s sporting history and how it influenced her transition into sports law
- Working in top-tier law firms and the environment that comes with it
- The support that Cassandra receives from her team
- The progression of women in the legal industry and how Cassandra sees the next few years
- The adversarial nature of the legal industry and the problems that come with that
- Cassandra’s second life as a social media star and how it came about
- The 80-20 rule and how it increased Cassandra’s number of Twitter followers
- Cassandra’s main influences and mentors in law land
- The potential pitfalls of using social media when you work in the legal industry, as well as the positives
- The difficulties of balancing personal life with a demanding career
- Cassandra’s advice for young lawyers
- The Happiness Challenge!