Episode 160 – When the professions collide with Accountant and legal start-up founder Belinda Marschke
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I chatted with Belinda Marschke who is not really a lawyer….! So what does an Accountant have to say about happiness in law? Well a whole lot when they are married to a lawyer, work in 2 legal start-ups and previously have been the CFO of a large law firm!
Belinda is an Accountant but has spent much of her career working with lawyers and for the past year has been working with 2 of her lawyer friends, through the business Lacuna Legal Providers– providing ‘back of house’ support to solo and small law firms. Belinda is also running the multidisciplinary tax consultancy business, DBM Horizons with her husband David so I am still trying to work out how she has any time for her life outside of all of this law!!
I found Belinda’s insights on the similarities and differences between lawyers and accountants really interesting too and she had so many great tips on balancing career and family, finding your own success and of course happiness!
I have concluded we need more accountants on this show!
- If Belinda was not an accountant she would have been a teacher.
- Belinda has been married to a lawyer for 22 years and has been working with lawyers for the last 10 years.
- The decision to start Lacuna this last year.
- The planning that is needed to start a law firm and how Lacuna helps lawyers do this.
- How Belinda ended up in business with her friends and colleagues Allison Warburton and Bronwyn Eynon-Lewis.
- The difference between lawyers and accountants and ‘everyone else’ and the commonalities we share as professionals.
- Belinda grew up in Harvey Bay and is now based in Brisbane.
- Belinda studied her Bachelor of business through external studies (before the internet! imagine!), all while gaining experience at an accounting firm.
- Belinda’s life working in large accounting practices and her decision to move into law.
- Belinda’s experience of working in a law firm and her challenging first day.
- The contrast between Big Law Firms and Big Accounting Firms.
- Partnerships and Belinda’s perspective on this business model used by lawyers.
- The decision to start their own firm and how Belinda and her husband, David, came to this point.
- The advantages of working from home and the changes it has made in Belinda and David’s life.
- The importance of learning the business side of law and learning from each other.
- Belinda’s happiness journey which includes setting up her combination legal and accounting firm.
- The advantages of outsourcing and being smart with your time and abilities.
- Belinda’s tips for creating your own happiness journey – attitude with a capital A!
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Belinda Marschke.