Episode 161 – Why life’s curve balls create our greatest learnings with lawyer Paul Betros
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing commercial lawyer, Paul Betros. Now this really is a conversation like no other. There I was thinking I would be learning just what life is like working as a partner in one of Australia’s most successful large firms but as you are about to discover, Paul’s life adventures have taken him on a journey no one would wish upon anyone!
2011 was a year of incredible challenge for Paul and his family. Firstly the Brisbane floods, secondly learning of their son’s disability and then finally Paul found himself fighting for his life after a rare and unexpected health event. Paul speaks openly about the impact of these events on him, his family and his colleagues. We now know they all found their way through but life will never be the same again and Paul might say that is a good thing.
This conversation was a beautiful reminder to me that we never really know what is going on in another person’s life, that happiness is a choice we make and that no matter what life throws at us, we just have to ‘keep swimming’!
- If Paul was not a lawyer he would have been a journalist.
- Paul grew up in Toowoomba and shares a few of his memories of his childhood.
- How Paul found his way into law land and his first few years of practising in Toowoomba.
- How Paul found himself practicing in commercial litigation.
- Paul gets a lot of joy from the problem-solving aspect of commercial law.
- Paul’s family- his marriage to Camilla and why he priorities family.
- The difference between ‘serious’ and ‘important’ in the context of law land.
- In 2011 life changed profoundly for Paul. He shares how three separate incidents changed his perspective.
- The impact of Paul’s medical issues had on those closest to Paul, including his colleagues.
- How Paul’s outlook on life has changed through his experience and what life looks like today.
- Paul learnings as a result of his significant health challenge.
- Paul’s view that the foundation of a happy personal life leads to a happy career.
- Paul’s predictions for the legal industry.
- Paul’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with the inspirational Paul Betros.