Episode 162 – Land on your feet and just keep running with Family Lawyer Antonella Sanderson
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
A few weeks ago I found myself in Sydney and so managed to squeeze in a ‘day of podcasting’ while I was there! As a result, you will find a good few Sydneysiders hitting the airwaves over the next few weeks and it all begins with one really wonderful family lawyer in Antonella Sanderson. Antonella has had no easy run in ‘law land’- having started her own practice when her daughter was only 9 months of age, she has never known much but The Juggle. But Antonella has an outlook on life that resonated with me- she has a beautiful saying ‘Be a cat- land on your feet and keep running.’ I think that saying really sums her up- no matter life’s ups and downs she just keeps going and I suspect that mindset has kept her in good stead.
These days Antonella can be found running her practice, Family Law Matters, from beautiful Cronulla. When she is not volunteering her time for the Law Society of NSW she is mentoring and teaching students and early career lawyers and in her ‘free’ time you might just find her with her camera taking the most beautiful landscape shots. This was a beuatiful real chat about the ups and downs of life in and outside of the law but I was reminded none of us are alone in that experience.
In this interview, Antonella and I also chatted about-
- If Antonella was not a lawyer she would have been a performer in the creative arts.
- Antonella decided to become a lawyer at a young age after experiencing her parents divorce.
- After finding a full-time family law position, Antonella switched to part-time study and learnt a lot on the job.
- Antonella made a move to the Women’s Legal Resources Centre after becoming pregnant with her first child.
- Antonella’s daughter arrived 10 weeks early and Antonella fast found herself running a family law advice line from the hospital!
- The pregnancy factor and the lack of communication around what to expect when falling pregnant.
- When her daughter was 9 months old Antonella started her own law practice, Family Law Matters.
- Antonella’s life outlook of ‘Be a cat- land on your feet and keep running.’ (I love this motto!)
- Antonella’s practice has now been running from Cronulla 10 years and focuses solely on family law.
- The changes Antonella has seen in the Collaborative Practice and Mediation space.
- The importance of having a Collaborative Practice Community when working in Family Law.
- Communicating with colleagues – letter writing vs picking up the phone.
- Antonella’s perspective on the human element of law and the acknowledgement of hurt during sepration.
- Political influence and government funding when relating to separation and the changes that need to happen.
- Antonella’s tips on managing the juggle of family and work.
- As a photographer, Antonella uses her talents as a way to de-stress and making time to enjoy creative outlets.
- Antonella’s daughter has struggled with mental health and how she has helped her daughter overcome these battles.
- Mental health and the impact it has had on Antonella.
- Antonella’s ‘family encouragement mirror whiteboard’ concept- this is another thing I am ‘borrowing’ from Antonella!
- Antonella’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Antonella Sanderson.