Episode 163 – Overcoming Bamboo Ceilings, Glass Ceilings and life’s challenges with lawyer Adelyn Koh
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing M&A lawyer Adelyn Koh. Adelyn began her life (and law life) growing up in Malaysia. She knew from a young age law was to be her thing and before she knew it, she was there. But a chance opportunity had her and her now husband taking a chance and moving across from Malaysia to Sydney. A job in a top tier firm EY, living in a beautiful city- it would be easy to think Adelyn had it all sorted but I fast learned in this interview that her experiences in transitioning from practicing in Malaysia to be accepted in Sydney were anything but easy. Adelyn’s honesty in this conversation around her own lived experience in facing and pushing through the bamboo ceiling were a stark reminder to me of the bias that exists in our industry and more broadly in our society.
When she is not running around being a lawyer, Adelyn is a wife and mum to two gorgeous kids. She also spoke very openly about her own experience managing post natal depression. Adelyn’s openness in this conversation is heartwarming. As Adelyn wisely said- it is how we bounce back from our struggles that defines us- and as you will hear, Adelyn has been determined to not let the challenges she has faced stand in her way.
- Adelyn always wanted to be a lawyer!
- Adelyn grew up in Malaysia which is where she completed her legal training.
- Currently living in Sydney, Adelyn shared some insights into life in Malaysia vs life in Australia.
- The day to day life of living in Malaysia and the expectations for lawyers.
- Adelyn’s experience of moving to Sydney and the challenges she faced during the transition.
- Unconscious bias and Adelyn’s perspective of bias in Law Land.
- The benefits of culturally diverse workplaces.
- Adelyn is a mother of two young children and how she manages her work and life.
- Mergers and acquisitions are Adelyn’s area of expertise and she explains what that means for her day to day law life.
- Some of the challenges that come with being a leader, lawyer and mother.
- Adelyn gracefully shares her experiences with Post Natal Depression.
- The importance of a family support network and the challenges that come from moving countries away from that network.
- Normalising depression as well as breaking stereotypes in the legal industry.
- How you bounce back from your struggles defines who you are.
- Adelyn’s predictions for the future of law.
- Adelyn’s approach to feedback and differing leadership styles.
- Humanity is a skillset that is irreplaceable in law land.
- A day in the life of Adelyn Koh.
- In Adelyn’s spare time she loves yoga and, in contrast, kick boxing.
- Adelyn’s advice for young lawyers coming into the legal profession.
- Adelyn’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Adelyn Koh