Episode 167 – Diversity in the Law with Barrister Reimen Hii
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Brisbane based Barrister, Reimen Hii. This year Reimen was the winner of the prestigious Law Council of Australia 2019 Young lawyer of the year Award for his advocacy in promoting cultural diversity in law. As an Australian with Chinese heritage, Reimen shared with me his experiences both growing up in Australia but also practicing law and why he has become an accidental diversity advocate in law.
Reimen’s career was one of the most interesting I have heard on this show so far- from a year as an Associate to an internship in Cambodia and then a few more years as a Registrar in Tonga I feel like he has done it all and he is really still just beginning! But between law we also spoke family, fur babies, languages and life which all in all made for the perfect conversation to see out 2019 on this show!
In this interview, Reimen and I also chatted about-
- If Reimen was not a lawyer he would have been an interpreter and speaks Japanese, Chinese and French!
- During university Reimen studied a double degree in Art and Law with a big focus on languages.
- Reimen was born in Malaysia to Chinese parents and he shared how this background has influenced the person he is today.
- Reimen is passionate about Diversity in the Law and shares his experience of becoming one of the few barristers in Queensland with Asian heritage.
- Reimen moved to Brisbane in 1992 after some living in Papua New Guinea with his family.
- The reason that Reimen chose the law and his University experience.
- Reimen started out at Law Right, focusing on Civil and Commercial Law.
- The importance of legal mentors, many of whom are still Reimen’s good friends.
- After graduating, Reimen undertook as role as an Associate at the Federal Circuit Court and focused on family and general federal law.
- His career then took him on a few exciting overseas adventures- from an internship in Cambodia to being a Registrar in Tonga!
- Reimen encourages younger lawyers to volunteer overseas as the experience he gained during this time has been invaluable.
- Having returned to Brisbane and practiced in commercial law for a few years as a Solicitor, Reimen took the leap to the Bar and is currently practicing in commercial and family law.
- The parallels between commercial law and family law.
- Reimen’s experience now being a Barrister.
- Winner of the Law Council of Australia 2019 young lawyer of the year award, Reimen was selected for his advocacy in promoting cultural diversity in law.
- Reimen’s involvement in the Asian Australian Lawyers Association (AALA) and his advice to younger lawyers from diverse backgrounds.
- Reimen’s life outside of the law.
- Reimen’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Reimen Hii