Episode 17 – Following Your Passion While Maintaining a Happy Family and a Healthy Career with Kieran McCarthy
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
If you’ve ever wondered how you can balance the hobbies that you’re passionate about with your career, then I’m sure you’re going to get a lot of inspiration from my guest this week. Kieran McCarthy is a fantastic family lawyer with over 24 years experience, having worked as a Senior Associate at McCullough Robertson before going it alone with his own firm, Rice Naughton McCarthy.
He’s also a fiercely passionate military history buff and dedicates much of his time to following this pursuit while also maintaining a happy family home with his wife and children. In this conversation, we talk about how he’s managed to juggle all of this while building a highly successful career in the legal industry.
In this episode we get into:
- What Kieran would be doing if he weren’t a lawyer
- Keiran’s passion for history and digging into the past
- Looking to other industries for inspiration in law land
- The secrets to balancing a happy family life with a career in law
- Kieran on the benefits of working regionally, particularly when first starting out in your career
- Learning on the job in family law and discovering what’s relevant and what’s not
- Solving problems by building rapports
- The great opportunity that family lawyers have
- The thrilling and devastating moments practising in the legal industry
- Making the transition from working for a large firm to being self-employed
- The positive changes in Kieran’s life that have invigorated him
- Being a person first and a lawyer second
- Kieran’s advice to young people entering the legal profession
- Kieran’s Happiness Challenge!