Episode 170 – From the biggest of Big Law to having babies in taxis with lawyer Bronwyn Eynon-Lewis
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing lawyer Bronwyn Eynon-Lewis. Now right at this moment you might say that Bronwyn is not a ‘lawyer’ in the practicing certificate carrying sort of sense but there is no doubt she is a ‘lawyer’ thanks to one fascinating career that has taken her all over the world and back again!
Bronwyn like so many of my guests began her professional life as a talented musician, but fast forward a few years and she found herself off studying law before jumping on the career ladder that had her traveling and working in South East Asia. She met her husband, they had 3 kids and before you know it this super successful pair were doing all the great things they had dreamed of. But as time went on, home called and a few years ago Bronwyn and her family returned home to Brisbane and a new stage of her career has ensued!
These days Bronwyn is bringing all of her expertise having worked within business development in some of the worlds largest law firms, to now helping lawyers like you and me to start our own firms. Through her business Lacuna, Bronwyn has partnered with two other powerhouse women in Belinda Marschke and Allison Warburton to build a business that provides all the support needed for lawyers looking to make the leap and build their own practice in the law.
I loved this chat- lots of great anecdotes about life overseas (and having a baby in a taxi!) to many great tips on making a few hard decisions in life.
- If Bronwyn was not a lawyer she would have been a teacher.
- Bronwyn was born in Western NSW and attended school in a small town near Adelaide.
- She went from mastering the Piano to studying law and her journey into this contrasting career.
- Bronwyn’s Aunt and Uncle are lawyers and she worked for them on the Sunshine Coast while she studied law.
- Halfway through her legal studies, Bronwyn received articles and got the role at a large law firm.
- She started her career in workers compensation, commercial and insolvency Law.
- Bronwyn’s experience of working in a large firm and how she ended up in Hong Kong working for her now-husband!
- Bronwyn was based in Hong Kong for 13 years where she had her three children, including having one of her children in a Taxi!
- While working for a US firm Bronwyn sat for the New York Bar exam.
- A few days after having her second child Bronwyn went to work for White and Case in a Practice Development and Customer Relations role.
- Bronwyn’s work-life balance in Australia compared to Hong Kong.
- The advantages of surrounding yourself with external help to raise your family so you can have quality time with your children.
- The stress that can come from running a house-hold and Bronwyn’s choice to keep a household-manager in her life.
- Bronwyn made a choice to step out of law and become part of an Energy and Resources team as a Business Development Manager.
- I talked to Bronwyn about her transition from Hong Kong back to Australia.
- Through all of her experience in Hong Kong, Bronwyn saw how women, in particular, have trouble finding work after having children or gaps in careers.
- At the beginning of 2019, Bronwyn and Belinda Marschke (Episode 160) started Lacuna, providing back office support to law firms.
- The ups and downs of going from big law to starting your own business.
- A day in the life of Bronwyn Eynon-Lewis now.
- How we spend our time and structuring our lives around those things that bring you joy.
- Bronwyn’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Bronwyn Eynon-Lewis.