Episode 174 – Helping someone change their world with Natasha Tanirau-Stanley
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing lawyer Natasha Tanirau-Stanley. Natasha spends her days working in a community legal service south of Brisbane assisting young people who find themselves in our justice system. This is no easy role- Natasha’s clients include some of our most vulnerable members of society but when you hear the joy and passion in her voice as she speaks of the work she does, I sense you will feel like I did- she is the perfect lawyer for this role.
Natasha grew up in New Zealand and studied law there (primarily because she couldn’t achieve her preferred career of being a mermaid!!). She followed her family to Brisbane after her studies and fell into a role initially in family law. She describes in this interview how private practice just wasn’t for her and how she found herselft in burn out at a very early stage in her career, questioning if it was the right profession for her. But it was her role as a volunteer at her now place of employment, the Youth Family Service that helped her through.
Natasha is a mum to a beautiful little boy and so we of course shared the joys and challenges of ‘life’ and family. Natasha is a fun, warm and down to earth soul who will have you smiling, laughing and nodding along with her. And I am glad she became a lawyer and couldnt find a way to live out her childhood dream of being a mermaid- she is just the sort of lawyer we should all be!
- If Natasha was not a lawyer she would have been a mermaid! (yep she really would have been!!)
- Natasha grew up in New Zealand and absolutely loves the ocean and her Kiwi roots.
- We discuss surnames (primarily because I couldn’t pronounce hers!)
- At the age of 7, Natasha decided she wanted to become a lawyer, not a mermaid.
- She studied the Law in New Zealand and continued her Masters here in Australia.
- The flooded legal market and the training students receive during their studies and the challenges Natasha faced in getting her first role in law.
- After a year of working as a Family Lawyer, Natasha came to a crossroads in her legal career and experienced a burn-out during her first year.
- Natasha had assumptions of what law-life looked like and shares how she managed burn-out.
- How Natasha found her role at Youth Family Services (YFS) and why she hasn’t looked back.
- Natasha’s experience of working with young people from difficult backgrounds.
- Empathy, connection, communication and trust are the keys to working with young people in the legal system.
- The role of YFS in the community, and its multi-disciplinary approach.
- Natasha is a new mother and was surprised at how difficult parenting can be.
- Advantages of being in the community sector vs private practice.
- The community sector’s billing process and the flexibility that comes along with this format.
- Natasha shares her thoughts on happiness in the legal sector.
- Through all her hard times Natasha’s perspective on life has changed.
- Natasha’s journey of pregnancy, feeding and sleep routines.
- Natasha shares her relationship tips.
- Tips from her career so far.
- Natasha seeks external help when she needs it, both in and outside of the law.
- Managing the expectations of family and work.
- Natasha’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with a great lawyer and person in Natasha Tanirau-Stanley.