Episode 176 – Building your own path with Solicitor Tanya Diessel
I am sharing this episode with you at a time when our world has turned upside down. I recorded this interivew with my guest Tanya Diessel only a few weeks ago now and it is a stark reminder of the far reaching change that has occured as we all try and navigate the world wide health crisis that is COVID 19. Last week I could not find the energy to release this episode as like so many I was (and am) experiencing the many ups and downs that are coming each moment with our ever changing world. I considered pausing this show given world events but I realised over the weekend it is the little moments where I get to escape to the ‘normal’ and the ‘familiar’ that is getting me through at the moment. And so, the show will go on (for as long as is possible anyway!) in the hope that these conversations provide some moments of escape in some otherwise very difficult days.
What I can say about this week’s guest is that she will bring a smile to your face. Tanya is living and working on the Gold Coast where she has been changing the world one step at a time at the Gold Coast Community Legal Centre. She knows better than anyone that your world can be turned upside down in a split second, but in this interview she shared with me her path into law and the amazing things she has created along the way. Tanya has been recognised widely with a string of incredible awards for her work in building student teams within the community legal sector all as a result of her chance decision while she was at University to see if she could help out.
There is so much in this chat. Tanya is warm, fun and has a beautiful outlook on life. Little did she and I know that just a week after we sat and had this chat, both our worlds would again be upside down.
In this interview, Tanya and I also chatted about-
- If Tanya was not a lawyer she may have been a school teacher.
- Tanya’s early life growing up on the Gold Coast.
- How Tanya started law without a plan and how she came to work at the Gold Coast Community Legal Centre (GCCLC).
- Tanya has now been with the GCCLC for 9 years now.
- The University experience of law vs the reality!
- Asking the question, ‘What can I learn?’ led to Tanya’s years of experience in the GCCLC.
- Volunteering in Private Practice vs the Community Sector and Tanya’s advice to students.
- The pressure students face prior to graduating University.
- Tanya is humble, however, shares her achievements in her career thus far, including winning the Gold Coast Young Achiever in Occupational Excellence Award.
- Tanya’s involvement with building Student Clinics at the GCCLC and explains to us how they came about.
- The practice areas of the GCCLC and the everyday area’s Tanya works within.
- The privilege of our environment and how it impacts our lives.
- The Gold Coast has some of the highest rates of Domestic Violence and Tanya’s view on the Domestic Violence Specialist Court.
- Upskilling for duty lawyer’s and the resources available for training.
- A day in the life of Tanya as a Coordinating Solicitor at GCCLC.
- Diversity in the law is one of the attractions for Tanya.
- The difference between practical experience and educational experience.
- When Tanya is not being a lawyer she is also teaching at Bond University and sits on the Board of Directors for Events Management Queensland.
- Tanya recently started dance classes and has found this community to be a great separation from work.
- Taking a chance in your legal career and accepting what you cannot control.
- Tanya’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Tanya Diessel