Episode 179 – Coffee, case notes, rap and a bit of law in between law with James d’Apice
So a silver lining of this pandemic is that I have had to ‘pivot’ like so many of you in business and move my interviews ‘online’ and as such a whole new world of ‘happy lawyer guests’ has appeared! This week is the first of many a great online interview with someone I have been so keen to have on this show for a while- James d’Apice. In his ‘law life’ James is a commercial litigator but in his ‘other life’ James wears many hats- from husband to dad to son to part time rapper to podcaster and a whole lot more. It is the combination of James’ law life with his human life that has had me following his work for some time now and I know will have you smiling along in this episode too.
James describes himself as a lawyer who was never going to be a lawyer- growing up in a family of many lawyers, now working in the firm that has carried his surname for generations, it would seem on the surface that James’ career in the law was set from the beginning but you will hear in this interview just how far James went to avoid what was perhaps the expected path for him in law. This mindset still drives him today as rather than relying upon the brand built in his family over the years he has been determined to pave his own way and leave his own legacy on his clients and the profession.
I loved the chance to chat with James last week. I described him during out chat as the perfect combination of ‘old and new’ and is a great example of the happiness that can come when you allow who you are to seep into all parts of your life- work and home.
In this interview, James d’Apice and I also chatted about-
- If James was not a lawyer he would be about 30 other things…. (the list was long!)
- Growing up as the son of a son of a son of a lawyer!
- We talk about the luck of being born into a great family what that has meant for both of us.
- James did not always want to become a lawyer and shares the many steps he took to avoid that destiny.
- Why James centres his life around happiness and empathy.
- The impact of COVID-19 on James’ life at the moment- the silver linings of no more 2 hour commutes and what this might mean when we all return ‘to normal’.
- James univesrity life and his Honours Thesis on Beer and Masculinity in Australian culture (I had to ask about that one!)
- Stereotypes and expectations in the legal profession, as well as the rest of the world.
- While at Sydney University James hosted a radio show, trivia nights and battle raps (as you do!)
- James’ advice to current university students to not take life too seriously and explore who you are as a human.
- Filling your life with things that bring you joy, at all stages of life, to make yourself a better lawyer for your clients.
- The insecurities James faced when coming into law-land due to his long family history of lawyers.
- James’ experience of working with his dad and what he has learnt from working with family.
- James’ side hustle ‘Coffee and a case note’– that you can find on pretty much every social media platform known!
- The pros and cons of running a legal marketing side hustle.
- James’ tips on happiness both in his life but for our profession at large.
- And his happiness tip for this week too!
Sit back and enjoy this interview with James d’Apice.