Episode 184 – Finding your tribe & cooking up a storm with Cassandra Kalpaxis
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing surrogacy and family lawyer Cassandra Kalpaxis. I have come to know Cassandra this past few years and over that time I have watched her work hard to build a practice that focuses on the work she loves to do and balances her love of family. This is no easy feat- anyone practicing in law would feel the tension every day!
Cassandra ‘grew up’ in law land, starting her first role in a firm at only 14 years of age. She primarily practiced in criminal law- an area of law she really enjoyed however last year she made the decision to move away from this practice area to create the space to focus on work that she really loves in the surrogacy space. Cassandra has since built a business ‘Simply Surrogacy’ that is helping families of all shapes and sizes around the country achieve their dreams to be parents.
Cassandra and I chatted late at night for this interview so I sense you will have a laugh at our tiredness- but I have concluded that is an authentic representation of our lives in law! Cassandra had lots of advice on starting out, building a practice and all of those important law land things but it is her perspective on family, relationships and friendships that I think is the piece that I will take away from this chat.
In this interview, Cassandra and I also chatted about-
- If Cassandra was not a lawyer she would have been a florist or a chef!
- Cassandra is from a large Greek family and describes what it was like for her and her family growing up in regional NSW.
- Memories from Cassandra’s childhood growing up in a small community with a large, pizza shop owning greek family.
- Cassandra started in the law at only 14 when she started working in a local general practice law firm.
- Cassandra continued to work full time while studying full time at Western Sydney University.
- Cassandra started her legal career as a criminal lawyer in the same law firm she worked in as a teenager.
- After giving her long term employer 12 months notice, Cassandra started looking at other areas of the law and started in a generalist firm.
- Cassandra started her own firm, Kalpaxis Legal, around 2 years ago now.
- The highlights of working in your own business.
- Cassandra switched her focus to surrogacy law last year inspired by her own experience in becoming a mum.
- The future for Cassandra and Kalpaxis Legal.
- Cassandra’s tips for managing a career in the law and supporting a family.
- Cassandra is content in the law and shares what keeps her in a positive headspace.
- Tips for young lawyers coming into the law.
- Cassandra loves music, Jazz in particular.
- Cooking is a huge part of her life and she can spend up to 12 hours cooking Sunday lunch for friends and family.
- The ties Cassandra has to her Greek heritage.
- The value of ‘finding your tribe’.
- Cassandra’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Cassandra Kalpaxis.