Episode 189 – Filling your cup from multiple sources with Alexandra Atanasov
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Alexandra Atanasov and this really was a treat! As I sat down to hear about life as a commercial litigator little did I know that I would soon be talking about crochet! It turns out that Alexandra is one half of an amazing creative duo here in Brisbane, best known as ‘imakestababy’ in Instagram land! So how do you combine the rigours of commercial litigation with the creativity of a babywear label? Well Alexandra tells us all how and more importantly why!
I loved the chance to hear Alexandra’s perspective on life in and out of law- she said wisely that her happiness, her ability to manage the stressors of her job, comes from ensuring she has many sources of joy in her life and purposefully creating the space for them all. Yes she is busy, yes she gets overwhelmed but she has come to learn that there are a few key things she needs to keep herself going and so she made sure those things are every present in her days and weeks.
In this interview, Alexandra and I also chatted about-
- If Alexandra was not a lawyer she would have been doing something involving crafting, crocheting or baking.
- A high school teacher influenced Alexandra to pursue the law and we talk about the wonderful impact of great teachers in our lives.
- Alexandra completed a double degree in law and journalism and the advantages of working the creative side of her brain.
- While studying, Alexandra worked at the ATO in debt collection and took internships at both Channel 10 and in large law firms as she worked out the direction she was going to take.
- Alexandra’s decision to pursue law.
- Following graduating in 2012 she started her legal career at Crown Law where she ‘learnt by doing’.
- Life as a ‘Crownie’ and the varied and fascinating experiences that Alexandra had.
- In 2017 she made the shift to private practice and started at Holding Redlich where she continues today.
- How the sense of pressure to know your perfect career at a young age can be such a trick and Alexandra’s tips for overcoming this.
- Seeing opportunity in everything and finding excitement in all you do.
- Alexandra is a true believer of having multiple sources of happiness and joy to give balance overall in life.
- Alexandra tells us about her creative side and the multiple ‘side hustles’ she has pursued.
- Meeting Rachel Burke and launching “imakestababy” where Alexandra and Rachel collaborate to create handmade baby clothing.
- There is something special about bringing people together and keeping their hands busy.
- Creativity gives our minds permission to be calm and re-set.
- The future of law for Alexandra.
- Alexandra’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Alexandra Atanasov.