Episode 191 – It’s not about finding your fit, it’s about creating your fit with Sheetal Deo
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing lawyer, advocate and relationship manager Sheetal Deo. For someone still only a few years into #lawland Sheetal has a whole lot going on- including a full time role as a Relationship Manager at Queensland Law Society, running her own firm, Shakti Legal Solutions and building a not for profit to advocate for diversity and inclusion in law. I came to understand in this interview that doing ‘all the things’ is core to Sheetal’s purpose and happiness in life and law.
This conversation took us from Sheetal’s early life in Canada, her move to Australia to study and navigating her Indian heritage while coming to terms with her own place in life as a gay woman. This chat has it all! My favourite part though was Sheetal’s comment about her own experience in law so far- that it is nolonger about finding your fit in the profession but instead about creating your fit- something I can certainly resonate with!
In this interview, Sheetal and I also chatted about-
- If Sheetal was not a lawyer she would have been working with the next generation which, as we hear, is what she is doing!
- Sheetal grew up in Canada and paints a wonderful picture of her upbringing.
- Sheetal’s first experience on the Gold Coast and the perspective this gave her on the law as a business.
- It was the concept of power and prestige that brought Sheetato law but she shared how that ‘why’ has changed over the years.
- The journey of Ethnic+ a not for profit Sheetal has pioneered to advocate for diversity and inclusion in law.
- The traditional expectations of the Indian community as well as their innate fear of negative perceptions from others.
- Sheetal’s family wanted her to follow the traditional pathway into law, as well as marriage and having children.
- Sheetal’s journey of coming out and the reaction of her family, colleagues and most importantly herself.
- Being a woman of colour, Sheetal’s passion for educating allies has grown significantly over the duration of her career.
- Unbundling Shakti Legal Solutions.
- Sheetal also works full time at the Queensland Law Society in professional development and has an undeniable passion for sharing her journey to encourage others in their legal careers.
- The mindset of early-career lawyers and shifting the idea of a traditional pathway to the law.
- It’s not about finding your fit, it’s about creating your fit and Sheetal has been doing just that!
- Seeking help for personal growth and the advantage of getting ‘tune-ups’ from a therapist.
- Sheetal’s Happiness Tip
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Sheetal Deo.