Episode 193 – Working with family in law (literally!) with Madeleine Gallagher
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Madeleine Gallagher. Madeleine lives and works in Grafton in Northern NSW where she is fast taking over the reigns of what is a beautiful family built practice. Madeleine works alongside her mum, dad and sister so this really is a story about a family of great lawyers. But Madeleine didn’t begin her career in law and she had a few great adventures before finding her way there.
Madeleine hasn’t been in the law firm game for too long but she has the benefit of a mum and dad who have together built a thriving firm in a beautiful part of the world for many years now. This was a beautiful conversation about finding your path, family along with a good splash of law! This chat had me revisiting my long harboured plan to return to my home in Northern NSW too!
In this interview, Madeleine and I also chatted about-
- If Madeleine was not a lawyer she would have been (and was) a sub-editor at New Idea Magazine.
- After having her first child Madeleine re-invented herself as a lawyer with the goals to take over the family business.
- Born in Grafton, Madeleine moved to Sydney for 19 years, and then came home to Grafton after having her baby.
- Remotely studying through Southern Cross University, all while working full time and raising her child.
- Madeleine started her law studies at age 30 and values her life experience prior to coming into law-land.
- Sister Geraldine, Dad Tony and Mum Trish all work together in the family firm.
- The history of Gallagher Solicitors and Conveyancers.
- Overcoming imposter syndrome.
- The future for a family-owned and run law practice in Grafton.
- Madeleine’s learning’s from her father, a man who has been in the law for over 40 years.
- Working in, and owning a small business and managing downtime.
- When Madeleine is not a lawyer she loves to spend time with her family.
- The silver linings that have come from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Madeleine tips and thoughts for new solicitors as well as working in regional communities.
- The inner workings of local, general practice law firm.
- Madeleine is a happy lawyer – and credits her happiness to keeping her work-life balance in check.
- Avoiding the culture of over-working in law land.
- Madeleine’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Madeleine Gallagher.