Episode 196 – Build your balance then pursue your dreams with sports lawyer Paul Horvath
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing lawyer extraordinaire, Paul Horvath. Paul has had many years in law and in this interview shared with me the twists and turns his career has taken him on- initially from practice as a criminal lawyer to now running a vibrant employment and sports law practice from Melbourne. I don’t know too much about sports law so really enjoyed hearing a few of Paul’s great stories about different cases he has been involved in, some of which have had the added benefit of travel to great overseas destinations thanks to the occassional international tribunal appearance!
Putting aside the very interesting and successful career that Paul has had, it was his wisdom and learnings that I really resonated with in our chat. Having lost his mother as a young man we both discussed how these pivotal moments in life are often the things that drive us to keep going, even on the most difficult days. Paul also had some wonderful insights on mental fitness- focusing on what makes us balanced first and then pursuing our dreams. This is an interview full of great advice for lawyers at all stages and it helps that Paul is a natural story teller so there were many a great annecdote along the way too!
In this interview, Paul and I also chatted about-
- If Paul was not a lawyer he would have been a rock star!
- The importance of having a creative outlet which allows you to focus your mind.
- Narrowing down your focus and keeping it simple to avoid getting side-tracked
- Paul’s father was in the federal public service which resulted in him moving all over Australia as a child.
- At the age of 16, Paul lost his mother to cancer and the impact this had on Pauls’ decision to study law.
- Paul’s advice to his kids to find what makes you balanced first, prior to pursuing your dreams.
- Following his unconventional path to university, Paul started his career in Criminal law.
- Empathy for your clients makes you a more passionate advocate.
- Paul’s experience managing empathy and client journeys.
- With goals of becoming a sports lawyer, Paul pivoted to employment law and contractual work.
- Paul’s role assisting athlets during the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne and a few great stories of the issues that arose.
- The overlap of skills from Paul’s experience in Criminal Law.
- Mental health in Law Land and the issues faced in the industry.
- The hierarchical format of law and the changes to more of a collaborative approach to colleagues.
- Paul’s employment and sports law practice operating out of Melbourne.
- The future of law for Paul, both during COVID and for the years thereafter!
- Paul’s advice to new lawyers coming into the law.
- Paul’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Paul Horvath