Episode 197 – Finding the why behind your what with Charlotte Campbell
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Charlotte Campbell. Charlotte is a fellow Brisbanite who was just great fun to hang out with but in amongst talking basketball and the Kardashians we of course chatted law, life and happiness! Charlotte began her #lawlife in politics before moving into a role within the Department of Defence. A small pivot later and she has found her place as a personal injury lawyer with the team at Shine here in Brisbane.
It was Charlotte’s mindset that I loved learning about in this conversation. She has a beautiful way of summing up what matters in life and how she has built healthy routines around her work to ensure she can be the best lawyer she can be. And her love of sport had me laughing along! I don’t think I have met anyone yet in almost 200 interviews who wants to be an NBA star if they weren’t a lawyer! But Charlotte really does! This interview will have you laughing along for all the right reasons while also reminding us to reflect on the small moments in life and why that is what matters in the end.
In this interview, Charlotte Campbell and I also chatted about-
- If Charlotte was not a lawyer she would have been in the NBA star and loves reality television.
- Charlotte grew up on the Southside of Brisbane and gives us a snapshot of her childhood.
- After starting an Arts Degree Charlotte made the jump to a double degree in Politics and Law at University of Queensland.
- We discuss her time at University and her thoughts on learning styles and University grading.
- Her time working on a campaign for Kevin Rudd and the current political climate.
- Charlotte’s experience at the department of defence as a lawyer before shifting into private practice.
- The jump to Personal Injury Law and the inside scoop of a day in the life of a PI lawyer.
- Recognising the impact a traumatic event has on clients and how Charlotte reduces their stress.
- Providing signposts of information for clients during a Personal Injuries process.
- Charlotte gives priority to attending the gym as it reduces the mental burden she experiences from her work.
- Her tips for separating her work and home life by seeing it as a game.
- Winning the WLAQ Emergent Woman Lawyer of the Year award.
- Harassment in the workplace and the generational differences in perspectives of appropriate norms.
- Finding the ‘Why’ behind your ‘What’.
- The importance of good mentors in law-land and Charlotte’s tips for graduate lawyers.
- Charlotte’s predictions for the future of Personal Injury Law.
- Focusing on the little things in life, as they make up to be the big things in life.
- Charlotte’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Charlotte Campbell.