Episode 199 – Don’t forget to celebrate the fun that comes with working in law with Lindsay Carroll
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing Lindsay Carroll who is the Legal Practice Director at the National Retail Association. Lindsay began her life in lawland as a junior secretary straight out of HIgh School. That first job saw her working at what we now know as Norton Rose where she spent a good few years, ultimatley completing her law studies and transitioning to practicing as a lawyer in the safety law team. Linsay has since moved to working with industry associations, currently at the National Retail Association where she has a varied role moving between legal advisor, advocate and more general assistance to her industry retail clients.
It was Lindsay’s thoughts on the importance of finding the fun in our work that I really enjoyed in this conversation. Fun and law are not often words we put together, but there is no doubt that fun tends to result in happiness for most of us. Lindsay had some great insights on how we can all find moments of fun in the work that we do and how this can become an antidote to some of the broader stressors that life in the law can be known for.
In this interview, Lindsay and I also chatted about-
- If Lindsay was not a lawyer she would have been a marine biologist.
- Highlights of growing up in Ipswich and we get a snapshot of her childhood.
- After graduating from school, Lindsay gained legal experience as she worked full time as a secretary, prior to studying Law at University.
- The start of Lindsay’s career was in Safety Law and we learn what this entails.
- The shift she made with Norton Rose to Employment Law where she stayed for a total of 8 years.
- Lindsay’s experience in Industry Association Land.
- The noticeable differences between big law and a smaller firm with fewer resources.
- The path that led to her current role as the Legal Practice Director at the National Retail Association.
- The type of legal work Lindsay does on a daily basis at NRA.
- Lindsay’s advice for baby lawyers and the stress they experience around their career paths.
- Lindsay’s life outside of the law including Kayaking!
- The impact the Covid lockdown had on Linday’s personal life.
- Retailers in the last 6 months and how they have had to pivot to the online space.
- Lindsay enjoys client contact and is always thankful for positive clients.
- Lindsay’s predictions for the future for the retail industry following Covid.
- How retail is are coping with the shift from ‘brick to click’.
- Lindsay explains the importance of fun in the workplace and Lindsay’s passion for bringing joy to her staff.
- Lindsay’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Lindsay Carroll.