Episode 20 – Pepe Clarke on Following His Passions and Moral Purposes, in and outside of Work
My guest in this week’s episode of The Happy Lawyer Happy Life podcast is a true inspiration for anyone looking to broaden their horizons and make a real difference in the world. His name is Pepe Clarke, and he’s got so many strings to his bow. Besides being a lawyer with 15 years’ experience, he’s also dedicated much of his life to environmental causes and is now Global Head of Policy at BirdLife International.
Pepe’s always been a passionate activist. He’s spoken on various media and published a number of papers on threats to the environment. Here, he shares his journey with me – the path that his career has taken, how he’s travelled the world and the hope that pushes him forward.
In this episode we really get into:
- What brought Pepe to law in the first place
- The positive impact that the legal industry can have on the environment
- The influence that family and community have had on Pepe’s choices
- The volunteering work that Pepe’s done and the opportunities that have come from that
- How Pepe has managed to travel and work all around the world
- The satisfaction that Pepe gets from working with people
- The challenges that Pepe has faced in his career and how he’s overcome them
- Finding the balance between passion and the day-to-day grind
- The periods in Pepe’s life and career when he’s struggled with happiness
- The importance in having a diversity of experiences in your career
- The environmental differences people can make on an individual basis
- Pepe’s theory of change and why it’s always shifting
- The sure-fire way you lose an issue in activism and the legal industry
- Pepe’s Happiness Challenge!