Episode 203 – Helping people find their own magic with Midja Fisher
Podcast (the-happy-family-lawyer-podcast): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
In this week’s episode of the ‘Happy Lawyer Happy Life Podcast’ I had the pleasure of interviewing the powerhouse that is Midja Fisher. Now she had me laughing from the moment we began as when I asked what she would be if she wasn’t a lawyer we were soon talking about being Reality TV stars and the fun only kept coming from there. Midja has been in #lawland her whole career but you might say she has had anything but a traditional path and in many ways not too many traditional roles which is what makes this conversation so interesting. These days Midja works as a consultant to firms all over the Country on leadership and culture and it won’t surprise you that we had a whole lot of fun sharing our ideas of how our profession could change for the better!
In this interview, Midja and I also chatted about-
- If Midja was not a lawyer she would have been a teacher or a reality TV star and shares why she has a passion for drama.
- Midja comes from a family of three generations of coal miners and gives us a snapshot into her childhood growing up in Ipswich surrounded by family on all sides.
- Midja’s decision to study Law and IT in Brisbane.
- Her induction training with Price Waterhouse Coopers in Tampa Florida, and her learnings now that she hosts inductions as a speaker.
- Leadership in business and the work it takes to lead a successful team.
- More than half of Midja’s mentoring clients are lawyers how she helps lawyers to find their passion, self-love and self-belief.
- What ‘doing law differently’ means creating space and supporting staff so they can all make their magic.
- Midja talks about holding things loosely and seeing the opportunity in all areas of peoples roles in business.
- Following her time in Florida, she moved to Sydney with PWC before returning to Qld.
- From there, Midja worked for many years at Shine running their courses and training where she totally fell in love with the work she got to do.
- Midja worked for Shine for 19 years where she found her passion for leadership, team building and coaching.
- Writing leadership programs and helping others to grow into their own magic.
- Her decision to make a change and step out on her own in 2016, which came from a desire to create something for herself.
- Her books, “Unshakable Confidence”, “Great lawyer to great leader” and, launching next month “Take off the Cape – from superhero to super coach.”
- Midja’s opinion on what we are doing well in the law. And, if she had a magic wand to change law land she would challenge us to step up and become stronger leaders..
- Midja explains her coaching process of creating purpose, passion and play in our careers.
- We discuss the role of a business coach, along with the stigma attached to getting ‘help’ in Australia.
- Energy is contagious, both positively and negatively.
- Midja helps people find their magic and be present in their daily lives so they can get the most joy out of their lives.
- Midja’s Happiness Tip.
Sit back and enjoy this interview with Midja Fisher.